Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been visited several times on the forum... but wanted to solicit opinions/input again

gracie was born 3/30/14.

am keeping her off stairs.

she runs around in the yard. we live across from a park. I would like to walk her over there for a sniff through the grass.

although about 1/2 block away, I think it's a tad too far for her to walk. I want to carry her part of the way, let her romp on lead through the grass, then carry her back.

sound prudent??

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
personal I would not worry about walking her the whole way

Exercise in Puppies-Are there rules? | The SkeptVet

Dog Owner's Guide: Conditioning for canines
Puppies should get chances to use their natural abilities if they will enter a profession, but they should never begin serious physical training until about 14 months, the age at which the bones’ growth plates have closed. In her book Peak Performance: Coaching the Canine Athlete, writer Chris Zink DVM, PhD, said:
“ Puppies (under a year of age) should not be asked to jump obstacles higher than about three-quarters of their height at the shoulders. Puppies have an increased risk of injury due to heir relative lack of coordination, because their bones are immature and softer then those of adult dogs, and because their muscles are not yet fully developed. … Even after a year of age, young dogs should not be worked strenuously until their muscles have been developed by a program of increasing exercise over a period of several months. Just as with human adolescents, canine adolescents need time to adapt to their new bodies and to develop coordination for the specific skills they will be performing.”
Exercise for puppies?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Certainly prudent, depending on how much romping she does at the park. See how she does, and if she seems fine you can gradually increase the distance she walks.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. I had always wondered if I had done something to cause sophie's bone deformities.......

did I feed her the wrong food? did I take her on walks too soon? the ortho said no but it gnawed at me...

then I saw her siblings with the same issues and thought it must be breeding...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts