Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old was your basset when he/she started doing the famous Aroooo that bassets are known for? Jackie is just over three months old and the only sounds she makes are barking and throaty growl/snort noises. Will Jackie ever arooo? Even when the town fire alarm goes off, she just shrugs it off. I know she isn't deaf because she responds to all sorts of noises, she just doesn't chose to respond verbally. I guess I should relax and enjoy it while it lasts. :lol:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tootie doesn't really arrrooooo. Just an occasional howl if she is really frustrated about something, but even that is a pretty short howl.

However, she barks plenty! :?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Dudley has never done a full Arooo. Sometimes his bark gets drawn out at the end into a half-hearted howl, but that's it.

Minnie will howl, but only if I make a fool of myself and start it! If I do my best human version of AARROOOO a few times, she will join in. I don't do it very often because it seems to make her very over-excited, and because it's fairly embarrasing on my part! :oops:

The only exception so far was last Friday night. We live fairly close to the community pool, which they rent out for parties on summer evenings. They let the DJ or band crank the volume pretty high, but cut the music by 11:00. Around 10 last Friday, the dogs went outside and the next thing I heard was Minnie, AAARRRROOOO, maybe five or six times! I don't know if she was saying she liked the music or hated it, but I think she hated it.
We were pretty surprised, but mostly thought it was funny.

M

·
0 Posts
Maggie Mae arrooed all the time. Rusty & Stickers never have. They are 1 1/2 now. Stickers kind of makes a squeaking sound. Rusty occassionally barks. They are both very quiet. Maggie Mae got more vocal as she aged. Like somone said, Be careful what you wish for!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
HI
Charlie doesn't have a good aroo, but my Brandy has a wonder arroo aroo, all I have to do is come home and turn around and leave the house without saying hello to her and she will go off. Like coming home with groceries and dropping the first load and going back for the second she just lets it go. We can hear her all the way over to the neighbors across the street and she is inside the house. When I gave Charlie a bath last week and he was whinning she started howling outside thought I was killing her best friend. She can also do this in between a bark and howl thing that just kills my ears it is like fingernails on a chalk board. She is a big whinner. My Anna (passed) she could get going when we were chasing bunnies, but she was very secure never whinned so she didn't aroo any other time.
Steph

J

·
0 Posts
The only time Molly lets it go with her Aroos is when our son is playing the piano. And then, it is only certain pieces and certain times of day. But man, when she decides it is time to sing along, she really lets us know!
We laugh so hard when we listen to her!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The only time Annie ever Arooo's is when she is sound asleep and dreaming.

Everytime she does it Steve and I jump "ten feet" out of bed it is so loud.

People come up to Annie all the time and do their own Aroooing and she looks like them as if they are totally nuts!

Kathy

·
Registered
813 Posts
George only does it when I play my clarinet. He used to do it when I played the flute, but he either got used to the flute or I'm better at it now. :lol: He's not wild about my drums, either, but he usually just barks when I do that. I think they all CAN "arrooo" but I guess some of them choose not to.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Our current two never aroo. :( I wonder if it has to be taught in some dogs. our first four bassets were all great howlers. Our last howler was Louella--she'd begin to howl, and the other dog (Theodore) would join in. When Louie died, Theodore stopped howling, and Pearl never seemed to learn. ONce in a great while, Bella gives a single, mournful howl in her sleep. I miss the howling, but I know the neighbors sure don't!
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
196 Posts
Snoopy gave his first aroo when we took Rusty to the vets last year. He's not cut out to be an only dog.

Since then, he aroos when he thinks he's alone, or when it's full moon, he'll sit with the yard and aroo. I have a were-basset.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Daisy Jayne arooos regularly, she's 20 months old now. Last night DH let her in to the house thru the back door, and she started aroo-ing at him in the kitchen. I listened to them "aroo" at each other 3-4 times, then she ran into the living room and "aroo-ed" at me. :lol: She was in a very good mood after her Aveeno bath yesterday afternoon....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Boo does whatever he can to get what he wants. If he finds that people respond to his howling, he will howl. If they respond to cries, he weeps like a baby.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe was over two years old when I first heard him howl. He doesn't do it often but when he does it's beautiful. Sometimes he howls when big trucks go by. The funny thing is Tally (our tweenie Dachshund, for those of you who didn't know) has learned to howl with him. It's hysterically funny to hear them both howling together... his big, deep arrooooooooooo and her little high-pitched aroooooooooo. :lol:

Terry :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Copper Aroooos all the time. When he does his mouth makes a little round circle. He does it often but I think it is the cutest thing every time. Patty and Dolly are starting to do it more often and when all three get going it is something.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
No arooooos from Bogie, yet and he is 16 months old. When he barks it has a sqreech in it like a teenage boys voice changing. Really funny. Bubba didn't aroooo until he was about two years old, so we keep waiting for Mr. Bogart to grow up some more and give us a melodious aroooo.

Arooooos from Bogie Carter!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Turbo was about 3 months old or so when she started she is now 4 months old but we coaxed her to do it, she barks if we bark at her so we started aroooing at her and before we knew it she started mimicing us, now we can't get her to stop, I kind of miss when she only barked a little

1 - 18 of 18 Posts