Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some feedback on a few names I've been mulling for my next Basset. First, a little background. Long before we ever found our first pup my wife and I had settled on the name Herman for him. We can't recall how we got the name. I do know that it was kind of a mensch-sounding name (for a dog anyway) and I liked that. Herman was a regular guy. When he died I began thinking of naming the next Basset. We had already got a coonhound named Henry (that was his rescue name and we kept it), and this began a trend of naming the dogs H for Hound. Looking in the dictionary I noticed that Herman meant, originally, "army man" or soldier. Appropriate. Next I came across Harold, and it sounded very humorous and appropriate, and lo and behold it meant, in old English or Middle German, "leader of the army." That was it. Now, we've mulled over a number of other H names, and three kind of rose to the top of the list, but none has clinched it. They are:

Harvey - good and menschy, plus there was a kid I knew named Harvey, and of course a big white rabbit too.

Humphrey - absurd and guaranteed to get laughs from strangers. A little highbrow though. Maybe better for my next Black & Tan.

Hitchcock - seems to be a film theme going on all of a sudden. Not exactly a typical given name, but has a certain ring. Hitch works well for short.

Other suggestions are welcome. Maybe Hector or Hubert. Hercule (Poirot)? I think I like two syllables. Of course the decision will not be final until we've seen the dog in person. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like Harvey, It would be easier to call out than the others , IMO. I like the link to the white rabbit as well. I too, am fond of two syllable names.
Sally and Sherman

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hoover: Bassets have always reminded me of a vacuum cleaner the way they snuffle along the ground.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like Harvey its different, I can picture a laid back basset with not a care in the world just waiting on the next belly rub or whats for dinner. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
I believe some credit Saint Hubert for establishing the basset breed. I have thought if I ever had the opportunity I would name a basset that. I also like Roosevelt. Very strong name. Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like the name Howard or Howie...at the dog park there is a Basset named that and when they call him he looks just like he fits that name.

Good luck!

Kathy

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think Hitchcock is a slam dunk, mainly because as he lumbers around, you can sing Hitchcock's t.v. show theme in your head. Of course if he's a wiry, hyper boy like my Lightning, Hitchcock wouldn't suit him. I often wish I'd named Lightning Gilligan, because he's goofy like Gilligan. I also like the name Lincoln for a basset hounds, because you can ask him "Watcha thinkin', Lincoln?" when they give you one of their very deep, serious looks. I do not like the name Stomps (my other dog's name), because he's very delicate for a basset, although everyone thinks that name is hilarious. I got him from a rescue, and I think his original name was Stumps, which I think is cruel. So I stuck with Stomps, as the lesser of two evils. But I wanted to call him Chauncey Gardner, which suits him to a T. Good luck. Is there a new puppy on the horizon?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a new puppy on the horizon?[/b]
There is, but it's a matter of time, preference, and logistics. I agree, Stumps is cruel. Undignified too. Friends of ours had Herman's brother, and they named him Bonkers. Not good, and what could you expect from a situation like that?

Keep the cards and letters coming, please. Just a couple of observations. I would not name my dog Roosevelt or Lincoln (or Reagan either) because no matter how cool it sounds I'd be afraid of signaling political preferences and Bassets, of course, are Independent. Also, the dog's name will begin with an H, that's the only pretty much iron-clad rule.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello,

I love the Hoover suggestion, especially the connotation of sweeping along the ground, as they continuously do. It's original too, never knew a dog with this name.

jasperspet aka colleen

·
Registered
144 Posts
Harvey- (English) - Battle or Carnage Worthy!
Harold (English) - Leader of an Army
Henry- (Germanic) Worthy
Herbie-(English) - Bright Army
Herman (Germanic) Man in the Army
Harley-Hare Clearning (English), not to mention the motorcycle!

Thought I'd add more confusion!

:blink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts