Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...my puppy Softie is vomiting every morning precisely when he wakes up...the vet said not to worry - but im a bit worried...

does any of your lovelies do this??

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Mine don't, but I've read advice that says to give them a biscuit when they go to bed at night. She is probably waking up with nothing in her tummy.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Several Bassets on this forum do this. Our boy, Bogie, now 2 did this when we got him as a ten month old. He would wake up about 5 AM and throw up yellow bile. The vet told us it was the "empty tummy syndrome" and to feed him a portion of his daily food right before bed time. So we give Bogie a 1/2 cup of dry food about 10 PM just before bed time. The vomiting stopped and he sleeps til 6 or 7AM now. Some forum members just feed several dog cookies for a night time snack and that seems to work for them.
Good luck with Softie!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine have never thrown up, but Gibbs occasionally will wake me up in the middle of the night, well way early in the morning, with his tummy growling very loudly. I feed him a little bit of food and then he is fine. I have now started giving him only a portion of his "breakfast" and increased the amount of "dinner" he gets and it seems to be working so far...we'll see.

~Heather

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here until we started giving Ruby her "snack" which is a small handful of kibble right B4 her has P & P (pee and poop) of the night.

Never had a problem since.

Janice and little Ruby[/b]

THANKS EVERYBODY...THIS MIGHT BE IT!!! WILL TRY AND FEED HIM A LITTLE BEFORE BEDTIME!!!
The vet said he is a bit underweight although we feed him the correct amount of Hills!! so he's on a fattening up diet!!! :)

have a lovely day everyone!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know this thread is old but can I tell you how relieved I am!?

I could not for the life of me figure out why Whiskey was fine with eating and drinking all day long and then suddenly in the middle of the night/early morning, she would throw up. I am going to try and give her a little bit before bed tonight and see if that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am glad I came across this as well. My basset has recently started doing this! This is a big help I was getting really weird

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
We had a similar problem, too, I would wake up in the middle of the night or very early morning to Boomer throwing up bile. He gets a bedtime snack, and no problems since.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
very common in puppies but they usually out grow it when they become adults, that said I have q 13 year old beagle that still requires a couple cookies before bed to prevent the pre dawn bile vomit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts