Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have some thinking to do and decisions to make. First, the Dr. was so nice. She came in, introduced herself and sat on the floor with Rusty. He immediately sniffed her, climbed into her lap and there he stayed for the entire hour! She stroked his ears gently as she consulted with us. Needless, to say she was covered in hair but didn't seem to mind. She had to almost wake him up to exam him! This cancer is not a common one and they have no idea why or how he got it. Bad luck. It has spread to his lungs. He has 3 different nodules where the cancer has spread. She gave us several options. We won't operate on his kidney tumor because it has spread. She said even if it hadn't on ultrasound or exray, and we removed the kidney, chances are some minute fibers would have already traveled. We can do a few rounds of IV chemo combined with oral medication, just do oral medication or do nothing.

I asked her to give us a time frame without meds. I know that wasn't a fair question, but I still asked. She said probably 2 months without any treatment. With treatment maybe 1 or 2 more. Maybe. I know she isn't God and she doesn't have a crystal ball. We will talk and decide what is best for HIM. We are to keep him on his same food and add some fish oil but nothing else. Let him do what he wants as far as activity. She said we will know when he is ready to go to the bridge. He will slow down, appetite will decrease and he may try to go off by himself. I appreciated knowing the signs but we will not focus on that.

We are determined to make everyday with Rusty the best it can be. We will take lots of photos and videos over the next few weeks so get ready! Stickers has no idea he is sick and probably won't. She did say when the end does come it's important for Stickers to be there. They are closer than any 2 animals I've ever seen. She needs to be there, we can't just take him away. The Dr. was so understanding, patient and oh so sweet to my Rusty. I liked that he liked her so much to climb in her lap. She was pleased he is pain free and still has such a good appetite. For that we are grateful.

Please continue to pray for all of us.

·
Registered
972 Posts
That's so so so hard. I'm sorry! *hugs* Post and type and do whatever you need to do here to help you get through this tough time. How old is Rusty again? At least he seems pain free and happy. I'm so sorry!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I had Bubba on the chemo-meds and he lived 7 more months past diagnoses.4 more months than the Vet gave him.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Lots of prayers and drool your way. 6 is much too young to go through this.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I did not see your original post or this one until now, and I can't tell you how heavy my heart is after reading this. I think you are wise to make decisions based on what is best for Rusty. When Sadie & Spencer were diagnosed with cancer, the vet laid out the treatment options, but both situations were terminal even with treatment & I too decided my decisions were going to be what I felt was best for them & not based on my wanting to have them longer. The vet shared my feelings & put it to me this way: he said if a human was diagnosed with a terminal disease, he/she would be devastated. A dog, however, does not feel this. A dog only knows how he/she feels in any given time, and we should do our best to make his/her time however long or short, the best it can be. Treatment might lengthen a dog's life, but not always make it the best. Prayers to you, your family & Rusty. Hoping whatever time he has left is full of love and as much joy as possible.

·
Registered
209 Posts
" if a human was diagnosed with a terminal disease, he/she would be devastated. A dog, however, does not feel this. A dog only knows how he/she feels in any given time, and we should do our best to make his/her time however long or short, the best it can be. Treatment might lengthen a dog's life, but not always make it the best." Agree with Amy on this one, I decided against chemo after much soul searching and research when my boy had lymphoma. I wanted him to enjoy what remaining days he had and not at the vets (which he disliked) and knowing he had a touchy tummy I was concerned for side effects. Saying that, some dogs tolerate chemo just fine. Difficult decisions whatever you choose, quality of life is utmost. Enjoy each and every day you have together and take lots of pictures. Cancer stinks :'(

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
]
We are to keep him on his same food and add some fish oil but nothing
you may want to consider flax seed oil. Mine however would not touch the stuff so there is that consideration as well

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I just can't believe this is happening to Rusty! He's so young. I've enjoyed watching your videos of the two of them, and all their cousins, playing. Don't tell Stickers, but Rusty is my favorite. I'm just devastated for you, for Rusty, for Stickers, and even for me. Whatever decision you make will be the right one, but if it were me I'd definitely try the chemo. It seems to work so well for dogs, without all the side effects. I'm sorry--I shouldn't be telling you what you "should" do. It's up to you. But it's Rusty!

·
Registered
22 Posts
:( I am so very sorry! This makes me so sad for you all!!!! It makes me want to go home right now and give Kenna a big ol' hug and nose kiss!!! We are thinking of you all and pray for the best outcome!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bubba had excellent quality of life for the full seven months.I told him I would not allow him to suffer and I did not.When the time came I knew it and I put him down. Grace I tried the meds with her and it was not as successful she didn't go past a month.You'll know if they are working or not,if you go that way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
AWWWW!!! I am sooo sorry!!! God be with you and your family! I will keep you in my prayers.. I know how hard this is for we to have came face to face with the monster as well. We just found out Fred had lymphoma couple days ago and he started his chemo Yesterday!!! My prayers to all that are suffering especially for our BASSETS!!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
OMG, when I saw the title of this post and the original poster, I about had a heart attack. I thought Stickers must have cancer! I'm so relieved it's an old post. I miss Rusty--he was one of my faves on here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts