Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie had her routine blood test on Saturday, to check on the health of her liver, which has been negatively affected from arthritis medication. She has been on Metacam along with Denosyl which was doing a good job of keeping her liver enzyme levels within the normal limits. Well, this last blood test showed her liver enzyme levels highly elevated, even though she has been on Denosyl. So, the vet recommended we try yet another arthritis med - Zubrin. Has anyone any experience with this? Also, does anyone have any experience with the problem she is having - all the arthritis meds negatively affecting the liver? It seems she does OK on them for so long & then starts to show problems. I'm getting worried that we are going to run out of arthritis meds that don't hurt her liver. She can't go med-free. She is obviously uncomfortable when she is off meds. It's very frustrating.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I know there are herbal and nutritional supplements that help - Maybe where she could take less of the pain medications? I've not heard of Zubrin- but many of the NSAID type drugs are metabolized by the liver so have the potential to cause problems (but any medication- even amoxicillin can cause problems :( ). as long as your vet is watching closely that seems to be the best we can do-

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I give one of my pups Rimadyl for dysplasia, so can't help you, as I know nothing about Zubrin. And Wendy is right --- any medication can cause problems.

But I wanted to say, I use flaxseed oil for a buggy hip and have also been giving it to my pup. It has anti-inflammatory properties and it really does work. I know it works because --- well, it works on me. :D

I don't think flaxseed oil alone would be enough for severe arthritis or for my pup's dysplasia. But you might ask your vet about supplementing whatever medication you choose with flaxseed oil. Maybe she would be able to take smaller doses of her meds, which might be easier on her liver - ?

It's just a thought. If you decide to try it, I use Barlean's High Lignan Flaxseed Oil.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You can also look into supplementing Sadie with an herb called Milk Thistle, it's great for the liver and is said to help the liver regenerate cells. It's recommended for use in dogs who are on long term meds that affect the liver negatively. I used it for Tucker for a while after a routine blood test showed his enzymes were very elevated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 13 year old Maggie started on Previcox about 5 months ago and it did wonders for her, you can see from web search it is an NSAID and commonly used for dog arthritis. It just so happens that when we lost our Annabelle to Diamond, Maggie was using a different Diamond (low fat) and we had her liver function tested mid January, her numbers were right where they should have been, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm a bit of a skeptic. but Scooch has been having terrible neck pain...NSAIDS haven't helped, and I'm afraid of long term steroid use, although that is all that has helped. I lucked into a holistic healer..after 4 days on her tx I've been able to wean down the prednisone.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If Sadie's having liver problems, you want to be careful what you give her, and your vet should know what's in whatever you treat her with. And you just don't know what all goes into those "holistic", herbal, "natural", etc. preps, because they're unregulated.

A

·
0 Posts
I thought I'd give you my two cents worth of advice. My 10 month old puppy has high liver levels and the vet told me to put her on Vitamin E to help. I haven't taken her back yet to the vet, but we are going thursday to check her liver levels and see if the Vit E is working. So I can let you know if it works on thurs if you are interested. But she isn't on any other med's either. Good Luck!

A

·
0 Posts
Hi Amy, I hope everything goes well with Sadie. I just want on second Betsy on holistic medicine with regards to dogs, here in Europe they are very poorly regulated and you just do not know what they are made up of, so- while I am not knocking them in their entirity- you must be very vigilant. I hope she gets well soon, I'm sure you are all still reeling from losing the big boy Deuce.
Arlene and Opus.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, Betsy & Arlene, I am cautious about all the natural remedies. Honestly, I am not a big believer in them. I put more faith in traditional medicine. I trust the vet 100% and seek his advice often. We have been taking our dogs to him for 20+ years. It's just such a frustrating situation, seeing them get older and having to deal with the medical issues that don't always have an easy solution.

Thanks Arlene, for remembering Deuce! Things have settled into a new routine without him, but I still catch myself starting to say to Sadie, "Wanna go see Deuce?" It's something how much a part of our lives they become.

Yes, Mollie & Maggie, I would be interested in knowing how your pup makes out at the vet with her liver test.

A

·
0 Posts
Toby took MSM, and so do I It helped his arthritis, It helps mine no problem with my liver I told my regular dr I was taking it, aps per my vet she was all for it Not expensive, and in my book the only way to go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts