Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon Moe had his annual "Well-dog" vet visit (AKA a checkup :) ). We started out innocently enough - I grabbed his leash and hid it in my pocket, then cheerily asked him "want to go for a RIDE?!". He did. He galloped happily to my van and hopped up into the shotgun seat. I turned the heated seat to "LOW" and he settled in, head hanging out the window in the chilly fifty-five degree wind with ears flapping and nose sniffing, while his tushy was comfortably warm B). (Today was unseasonably cold due to an off-shore storm and fridgid NE winds - my seat was on "HIGH". :D ) About a mile from the vet's office he seemed to get suspicious - he was no longer happy and began to shiver and whine. <_< HOW did he know? We arrived at the vet's office (Newly renovated and doubled in size since our last visit) and Moe got to check out the Pee-mail in the parking lot. Though visibly unhappy but being the very good boy he is, he marched up the stairs and into the reception area where he was greeted by his friends at the counter (Moe has a way with the young girls there - he is fawned over like a handsome rock-star ;) ). Still whining, he obligingly hopped onto the scale for a weight-check and then we moved into the new tastefully decorated and roomy waiting area complete with a large, low picture window that even the smallest dog can see out of. We met a shepard-husky mix named Daisy. She and Moe had a lot in common - she was shivering and whining and he was shivering and whining. :rolleyes: We waited somewhat patiently to be called. The vet tech called Moe's name and we were ushered into one of the new exam rooms. The vet came in and Moe was again asked to step onto a scale - this one a large, shiny stainless steel one. After confirming his weight the tech stepped on a pedal and the scale-base, with Moe aboard, was raised to table height! :blink: I was amazed! How clever! No more two-person dog-lifting onto a table (which Moe hated).

Moe had his examination, along with a lyme test, a heartworm test, lyme vaccine, and Lepto vaccine. He had his anal glands expressed :p (a recent developement - we never had to have it done till last fall) and his nails clipped. He was pronounced healthy and handsome and we left the building (Moe being a lot happier than when we arrived).

Ever since we adopted Moe, vet visits have been followed by a special treat (my way of making up for ruining his day). Our traditional after-the-vet-treat has always been ice cream. Off we went to Helger's Ice Cream for his very own small vanilla soft-serve ice cream cone. I sat at one of the picnic tables and I held his cone for him (freezing my but off in the cold wind), while he very contentedly lapped away. Other customers watched him and smiled as he ate his cone (from the warmth of thier cars). Then I wiped his whiskers and we climbed back onto the warmth of the heated seats. Home we went, where Moe was greated by a tail-wagging and excited Tally (who promptly shoved her nose up his butt to check on his anal glands for herself :p ). He had some dinner and a cookie and now he's curled up on "HIS" spot on the couch, out for the night (the cushion is imprinted with his body shape - no one else sits in that spot becasue of the dog-hair).

All done till next year... :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
What a super cute story! I am so glad everything was fine at the vet.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yay Moe! Good to hear about his "well baby" check up. Francis HATES the vet (can't imagine why....)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Glad to hear Moe is fit as a fiddle! Aren't those exam tables that go up & down cool? Spencer's vet is not yet that high tech, but when we had to visit the emergency vet last Thanksgiving, they had them. For what they charge, they can afford them! ;) We usually follow a vet visit with ice cream also. Spencer gets to go for his yearly check-up next month. I hope he does as well as Moe!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear Moe is fit as a fiddle! Aren't those exam tables that go up & down cool? Spencer's vet is not yet that high tech, but when we had to visit the emergency vet last Thanksgiving, they had them. For what they charge, they can afford them! ;) We usually follow a vet visit with ice cream also. Spencer gets to go for his yearly check-up next month. I hope he does as well as Moe![/b]
There definately seems to be a connection between the new tables and the cost of the visit... we never paid so much for a check-up before! :eek: Even so, they are good, caring vets with a good staff. They've been very understanding and accomodating when we incur unexpected vet expenses, allowing us to make reasonable and affordable payments. We've been going to them for years and I feel very confident that our pets are recieving the best of care. I understand that veterinary training, office equipment, and the building itself with all it's related expenses cost a lot, too.

I wish Spencer an uneventful check-up when his turn comes around. And I hope his ice cream treat is enjoyed on a sunny warm day! :)

(Bev, is it as cold where you are as it is where we are? It was another cold one today! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr! )

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Good to hear everything is good with Moe,
you're such a story teller, Terry! :lol:

Emma has a way with turning on the seat warmer too,
I've often gone several miles in hot weather before realizing
my butt was on fire.... :(

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
225 Posts
I enjoyed reading your story. You make it so entertaining.
If I were to relate that same story it would go like this:
I drove the dog to the vet. Afterwards I bought him a ice-cream
cone and then we went home. :p

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:) Wonderful story, Terry. You do have great story telling skills and your story has "voice", (gets the message across with entertaining style). I can just picture Moe enjoying that wonderfu ice cream cone. So glad his check up went well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes, Terry, we were frozen at the beginning of the week but now it's up in the 80's and when it's hot like this every walk with Francis is like the Bataan Death March. He hates the heat and he drags along practically tripping over his tongue. He does the "Franny Flop" every few feet and if the little darling wasn't so pudgy I'd go easy on him. As it is it's a short enough walk.
You must get nice ocean breezes in Tiverton. I love that part of the world.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Emma has a way with turning on the seat warmer too,
I've often gone several miles in hot weather before realizing
my butt was on fire.... :(
--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>
[/b]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bev, we get ocean breezes in the afternoon sometimes, but not today. Today the temps rose twenty-four degrees in three hours, from sixty-one to eighty-five. I just got back from picking my son up from work and, as I pulled into my driveway, I spotted poor Tally hiding in the violets under my magnolia tree. I looked around for Moe (Tally NEVER stays outside without him) and I spotted him in my garden under my weeping birch tree... he was laying in a BIG hole he dug. <_<

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our vet visits culminate in hamburgers from McD's. They know what the Golden Arches look like (or smell like), and make sure to alert us when we pass one. They know all about The "Magic Windows" that that fast food comes from...........they get a little taste of something not too unhealthy, and once got a doggie cookie from a nice man at the Carl's Junior drive up. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts