Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max has been fixed since late last fall but me not know much about neutering didn't not realized that he shouldn't have any testicles after he is neutered. I guess I never really gave it a thought, I feel real stupid now. It was last weekend when my friend saw him and said I thought you had him fixed, I said I did and she asked then why does he still have his testicles. Like I said I feel real stupid now but I didn't realize they took them off. I got looking at it closer and it was not two testicles, it was only one. I called the vet first thing Monday morning and they had me bring him in today. Sure enough it's a testicle. The vet was very apologetic and went on and on about how terrible he felt, he said he shouldn't have a testicle left and it is totally his fault. You could tell he was very embarrassed about the situation. He said they would take care of it at no cost to me, I would hope it wouldn't be any cost to me, after all I already paid to have it done once and I was not going to pay to have it done again because he screwed up. He tried to explain to me how this could happen but it just didn't make any sense to me. So now Max is going back on Monday to have another surgery to have the one testicle removed. I feel so bad for him having to go through it a second time. Has anybody every heard of this happening?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Is it possible that one testicle had not descended at the time of neutering? When Spencer was a pup, only one testicle had come down. When he was neutered, the vet actually had to cut his belly open & find the missing testicle. Just a thought - I don't know if it's possible that one could have descended after neutering?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Quite odd...never heard of such a thing...so sorry your baby is going to have to go through this again.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:( Oh, poor guy having to go through that twice is a real bummer. Bogie had to have his tummy cut open at nine months to find his testicals, because they never decended. The main reason the breeder let us have him at ten months as a "pet quality" Basset. He was totally healed up by the time we got him at ten months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts