Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the vet's tonight to get Lea's nails trimmed and the place was packed. Well, everyone there looked at Lea and either smiled or down and out laughed! I guess I should be happy that she makes people smile but part of me wonders if they are laughing AT her... Anyone else get this type of behavior from strangers?

Lou

M

·
0 Posts
Yes, I did over the years with Maggie Mae. Usually from someone with a small toy type dog. I just use to look at them and smile sarcastically! Then look DOWN on their dog!! Sorry!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
The reaction that I seem to get most (and am getting a little tired of) is ...

"Ohh!!! Look at that wiener dog!"

Excuse me?!

Isn't "wiener dog" generally in referance to dachunds?

In which case SO NOT! They get to be what? 15 pounds? Mocha is 55 and Beldin is almost 65 pounds ... and I've seen these dogs beside "wiener" dogs ... they could have one for a snack!

I think nanaimo seriously has to be "Basset-ucated"! *lol*

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
People always laugh at Sadie & Spencer. I can't figure out what is so funny! I don't mind the "Awww, aren't they cute" comments, but some people make fun!
I get the "wiener dog" comment alot too. There are 2 dachsunds down the street from us. I keep threatening to borrow them & walk them with my 2 Bassets, so people can see the difference!

[ March 30, 2006, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: AmyB ]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yup, people alwaya laugh at WInston and Henrietta.
From far away, some of them will point their fingers at us, and "Look at that!!! <big laugh>"

We've been asked if they were "beagle" several times.
There was one time, someone asked "are they hounds?" ....."Are they hounds?!?!?!" that is like asking "If pope is Catholic!!" :D :D

But I do noticed that lots of women smile, laugh and kinda glare at my hubby whenever he took Winston for a walk, while I left behind with Henrietta. What is that?? Grrr.... :mad:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I always thought that the basset was one of the most recognized breeds? I Always get asked what Duncan is, I had no idea it was so hard to tell ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
We were in the drive thru at Burger King and the cashier yelled back foe everybody to come look at the "Bagel" dog I guess she meant beagle, we thought it was so funny we still sometimes call Copper our bagel boy. I also had someone this weekend say he was a Beverly hillbillies dog, I politely told him that was a Bloodhound on the show and Copper is a basset and he said they were the same thing. My husband said he could just see my feathers ruffle.{Not that I have anything against bloodhounds I acually own one} but they are not the same as a basset.

[ March 31, 2006, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: copsmom ]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Today I was greated with a cry of "It's the SHOE DOG!" at the dog park. Between that and the people who have fond memories of 'Flash' from TV, there is no end of basset love in the world we have found. Sebastien makes almost everyone smile, even slightly, when he trots by. A true gift of the breed.

I've had to gently point out that he is a basset, not a beagle, only a few times - and certainly to nobody who has heard his voice! Most people love to hear his bark - and laugh. "That bark is bigger than he is!" I hear a lot - I just smile and say he's all hound, and never you mind his stature.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have had the laughter, the "is that a weiner dog?" questions and horribly often, "what kind of dog IS that?" George and I have concluded that most humans are woefully uninformed and there's no hope for them. I have tried to explain what a "weiner" dog really is and get blank looks. I have tried to explain that George is a basset "like the Hush Puppy dog?" and get blank looks (was that commercial THAT long ago?)and I've even had one persistent and apparently raised-by-wolves young man ask me three times in a row, "Are you SURE that ain't a weiner dog?"

·
Registered
905 Posts
Louise, people laugh at Toby all the time too.( But come to think of it.... so do I.) :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I get "Aw, what a cute dog" and "That is a basset hound, isn't it?". The occasional, "OOOH! Look at that dog! What a cool dog!" Not sure if they know what they're excited about, tho. :D

I bet none of us would get so much positive attention if we were out walking Chinese Crested Hairless dogs! Brrrr...now that's a scarey lookin' dog! :eek:

A

·
0 Posts
Wilson gets all kinds of reactions in the park we walk in all the time. Always positive except for the eeeeewwwwws when he drools on their leg when they bend down to pat him to little kids asking what's that? because he is .... well, his boy parts kinda hang low, just like his ears... and they wobble too and fro, he can't tie them in a knot, he can't tie them in a bow, but I CAN fling them over his shoulder..... I regress.

Mostly people just think he is a really cool dog, and quite frankly, so do I.

Susan

H

·
0 Posts
I gotta say, I think they're pretty comical dogs myself :D I look at someone's or my own Basset and I can't help but smile, and yes, sometimes laugh! Those sad eyes,those wrinkles - you just want to hug them to pieces! I wouldn't take offense if anyone laughed at Homer. I'd just say, "pretty adorable, heh?"

A

·
0 Posts
A lot of people laugh at Copper when we are out, but I haven't ever considered it ridiculing laughter. Let's face it Copper is quite the goofball when he trips over his own front paws. Which he does frequently!!! Most people also say, "I always wanted one of those dogs!" When I adopted him, I had no idea I would make so many of my friends, neighbors, and strangers jealous. It's great!!! to them, I say eat your hearts out, this hounds all mine!!! :D :D :D OH my goodness!!! Wilson!

[ March 31, 2006, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: THE COPPER TOP ]

A

·
0 Posts
We walk Annie every night and morning and there is never a time when people stop their car to make a comment about her and 98% of the time it is just to say "she is adorable" and then Steve and I strut the rest of the way home as the proud parents! ha ha

Kathy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh ya, people smile and laugh at Scully all the time, and always have! And we get the "weiner dog" and "beagle" thing all the time too. The one thing that always makes me laugh, is when I'm walking Scully and the people driving by are slowing down to look and chuckle....occasionally, they'll get so distracted by her that they have to slam on the brakes so as not to hit the stopped cars in front of them...LOL.

It's the comments about her weight that kind of erk me a little bit. Let me quote the 3 comments I got just last week at the vet from random patients in the waiting room: "Oh, she really likes to eat!", "Don't worry Scully, I had a cat that was the poster boy for obesity too", and "Wow, she really has a lot of pork on her!". Ummmmm....she's NOT FAT!! Honestly....even the vet is impressed with how we keep her at a good weight.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
One time when I was walking Moe (seventy-five pound male Basset) and Tally (twenty-two pound female 'tweenie' Dachshund) I heard a mother say to her child "Look at the mommy dog and her baby!". ;) ) We have met a lot of people while walking Moe, including my dear friend, Susanne. We may never have met without a mutual interest in Bassets - a housewife and a college professor? Our paths would never have crossed!

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
I admit they are show stoppers and attract a lot of attention but I don't think it is negative. Probably the most common reaction is how cute they are. yvonne

M

·
0 Posts
With Rusty & Stickers we get tons of attention. They are really close to each other. They even walk in a double line and bump hips! When we take them to PetSmart everyone in the store gathers around them to ask all about them. We walk them for one mile around the lake in our subdivision daily. They get alot of attention there too. They most is to Rusty and people say WOW, look at his huge paws and long ears. So far, they haven't gotten anything negative, yet!

A

·
0 Posts
I have had 99% good responses to Tummy. Drove up to Walgreens window one day and tummy had on his straw hat that says I'm happy. The girl started laughing so hard she had the phar. and others come to window. She said it has been so tense here today and Tummy & his hat made up 4 it. :) Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts