Basset Hounds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
How long did they hold her for before rehoming her because it sounds mighty fast
most jurisdiction in the State only require 3 days. the problem is if they screw up you still have no recourse because there are no penalies for not following the law etc

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
All of this seems extremely fast to me, both the adoption and putting down the other dog.

I am deeply sorry to hear what you are going through. I can't imagine how I would react, other than going out of my mind.

Use your Judge connection (too the fullest you can), utilize the media. I am sure there are lots of families out there that can relate and sympathize and maybe put pressure on the "new" family to give return your dog. I understand getting immediately attached, but if you came to me and told me that was your baby, I would return it (and immediately find myself another!)

I wish you only the best on getting your baby back. I can't fathom the pain you are suffering.

I would also look into the laws and regulations of the time frame of putting a dog down. that seemed like an awful short period for a dog if it is not suffering from some awful injury or disease that would warrant that.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Great! keep us posted.

I wonder why the shelter wouldn't explain this possibility to people who adopt their dogs. Seems to be that it would make sense to explain that the owner could come to shelter and look for their dog-- I can't imagine that this situation doesn't come up from time to time.

the shelter is shooting itself in the foot-- after all, here is a family that is willing to adopt a dog. and the dog it adopted already has a home; in fact it is not in need of an adopted home. the shelter would benefit if the family adopted a different dog from the shelter.

not that long ago, there was someone here who introduced us to them and their new basset hound that they adopted from a shelter. i want to say it was a week or even couple weeks into it? the basset's family showed up looking for it, and that family had a child too. it was heartbreaking, but the person gave the basset hound back (or they had to, I'm not sure which one it was).

for such a fast turnaround, I'm sure this happens all the time... I'm surprised we don't have a good way of dealing with the situation.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with the other posts about contacting media! I'd call your local stations, newspapers and anyone else I could get to listen to me!! That's insane the people won't give her back after ONE day! I'm so sorry. If it were Bentley I'd leave no stone unturned. It's be like someone keeping my child!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If you know where the people are now - can you go round and talk to them about what's happened here? And I agree re the Shelter being very short-sighted. Yes, your dog should come back to you, and these people adopt another one = 2 dogs out of there!!

Keep at the publicity.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In CA the ASPCA has to make a real attempt to find the owners, and strays must be kept 21 days to allow owners to find them. My daughter's terrier got out a few weeks ago, and the ASPCA called us to say they had seen her on Craigslist, and she was in the stray kennel. They charged a small fortune to get her out, but we were delighted that they would go through Craigslist to look for pics of strays.
I am truly sorry TX only allows three days, and I hope you get your dog back.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I hope you get her back! I can't imagine how horrible this must be, to have your dog basically stolen. I hope the publicity will help bring enough pressure on the people to have them give you your dog back.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
They are shooting the story tomorrow, the reporter is very confident that we can get our dog back. The thing is the people that adopted her are not friendly and live the the ghetto part of town.
Oooh that sounds like bad news. You'll know where I'm going with this one but was she spayed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is so terrible. I would be begging and pleading with the people. Flooding them with family photos. Anything that might sway their minds. I'm glad she was adopted, but sorry you are having trouble getting her back to her rightful home.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts