Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shared custody of a 5 year old bassethound, with my boyfriends ex, long story but Anyways Miley (the basset) got out of the backyard last Tuesday and we've been putting up signs all week and today someone calls and they said they called animal control and they picked her up and she stayed at their shelter and yesterday she was adopted. So basically my poor little girl is with strangers and we called them and the new owner refuses to give her back.... I'm so depressed and upset right now but there's nothing anyone can do. I need some encouraging words right now. Kenzie my 7mo old is goin to miss her step sissy :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I think it's awful they won't give her back. I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Had you notified this particular shelter that she was missing? The one in my county and the neighboring one do a wonderful job of reuniting the lost dogs if they are reported...but then this is a rural area and probably makes a difference. Also, they have to hold onto the dogs for at least 3 days before adopting to give the owners a chance to show up. So sorry.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I don't really know where any shelters are and I did google some in the surrounding area and called to see if they had her but none of te ones I called did, this shelter that had her was pretty far away from where I live. The other dog which was not a basset that had gotten out as well was put down just this morning :(

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Yikes! Lucky at least that she was adopted out and not put down. Maybe just let the new people know that if for any reason they can't keep her you'll be happy to buy her back. Or maybe even offer to get them another one? Try to keep in contact in a nice, non-pushy way.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Maybe the shelter will pass on the message?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you tried to contact the police or sheriff? If you can prove that Miley is your lost dog, and you have been searching for her, i.e. your phone record showing you've been contacting the shelters to locate her, you might be able to get her back, or at the least have the police obtaining the contact info of the adopting family from the shelter for you. Your claim to Miley will be governed by your state's law on lost property, therefore, it is not impossible to get her back from the new owner.

Lost and Found State Property Laws Summary

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
So sorry you have to go through this. And especially that the other dog was put down. I hope you are eventually able to get Your Basset back.

I'd be really mad if that were Worm! I'd Probably consider a lawyer if I were really hitting walls And couldn't get him back.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If this happened to me I don't think I could be very calm about the situation, I would be hysterical. I would go to the police or solicitor. Don't give up on her though. Need to get her home where she belongs x

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I was putting up the lost signs a police was asking about it and said he'd keep his eye out for her. And apperently after the dog has been at the shelter for a certain amount of days it becomes the states property and since the family paid for her, she's considered there property now. I am very sad I can't stop thinking about the situation and that this has happened to me. I even went up to the shelter and begged (i was crying histerically) the guy to called the family again an he wouldn't....

·
Registered
150 Posts
So sorry to hear about Miley, that's just awful. I'm afraid I'm with Lisa & Joey and would totally just go into their house (I'd find out where!) and take back my dog, I can't imagine what you're going through, this is your pet & I hope everything works out ok

·
Registered
154 Posts
The power of the press:

Please try to get a reporter to write a human interest story on your situation.

Maybe the 'new' family would consider, if there was some public pressure on them.

Also the story would help educate others, and maybe get politicians to fix this bad law.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I would start with the local newspaper in your area, they should have their contact info listed somewhere on their website or in the paper itself. I agree with the suggestion of contacting a reporter, a story would not only generate public pressure, it could also bring forward people with knowledge about how to handle this type of dispute, and even help you locate the adopted family. I'm really sorry to hear your story, and I'm angry to think how senseless that adopted family is. Please do not give up on Miley.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
This is a terrible story and I weep for you. How long did they hold her for before rehoming her because it sounds mighty fast. I don't have any real resolution for this situation but since you have come forward as her owner, surely the Shelter should be aware that this homing was at best, risky? Police? I can appreciate that the new owners would have quickly become attached to her but THAT FAST? Do you think they have been told her rightful owner is out there, looking for her, and has been since she escaped?

Surely there must be a channel you can open with wherever she is now? Thinking of this poor Basset - she must be so confused about what's happened to her.:(

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I talked to the chief of operations at the shelter and they told me to call the justic of peace. I have contacted a judge that is a family friend and he is goin to look into as well! Please pray all this works! I am also goin to try and make a statement a to get laws changed on this issue and the fact the te other dog was put down only after 3 days... I am not goin to let them get away with this

1 - 20 of 104 Posts