Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Hub won't stop scratching! He's driving us nuts.

No corn in his diet. He's not irritated in his arm pits or between his toes. No fleas. We've bathed him in oatmeal "anti-itch" shampoo. I don't see anything when I look close. We haven't changed detergeants.

He seems itchy everywhere. His flanks seem the itchiest. I just blopped yogurt on his food. He is NOT interested. Will let it sit for a bit.

Any suggestions? THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I would call your vet's office in the morning and see what they think- maybe they could prescribe something to stop the itch/scratch cycle. I know some people give Benadryl but I would be careful with that- I gave it to Murray once on the suggestion of the vet and he had a bad reaction- hyper, panting, anxious- (but with Murray, it seems if there is the slightest possibility of an adverse reaction, he will have it!)I can't remember what the vet prescribed,(some kind of antihistamine, not a steroid) but it did stop the itching. Good luck-

[ June 12, 2005, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Murraysmom. I have been trying the benadryl...twice a day...it just seems to make him sleepy for a couple of hours. No big improvement with the itching.

Wanted to avoid steroids, as we recently had a bout due to a hot spot.

This truly seems to be all-over itchiness. I'll call the vet. Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Could just be seasonal allergies. Have you recently changed his diet at all? Tucker & Rosie went through a terrible itch fest about a month after I got them, the vet thought it was their bodies ajusting to the new and better food. It stopped after a couple of weeks and hasn't happened again.

I hope he's feeling better soon, itching is no fun for anyone!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. No change at all to his diet. In fact, he hasn't been eating much at all. Skipping breakfast and just eating dinner. As he's a bit on the fluffy side, I haven't been pushing it.

It is very strange. Poor guy. Thanks for the response and input.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Has he gone anywhere/done anything/ eaten anything out of the ordinary? Was he bathed before the itchies. Is he on a new medication? Did he just have shots (I had one react by becoming very itchy)?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, Soundtrack, nothing new...I promise! (By the way, I LOVE all of the pictures you post, and appreciate the advice you give).

I finally called the vet. We're on prescription diet and low dose of prednisone...tapering over a few weeks. I'm also fighting a hot spot on his haunch...but overall he's actually eating again. We live in a rural area. Love our local vet and would love to resolve this locally without an expensive trip to UC Davis. But, we'll see. Thank you for your input. Tami (Hub's)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sounds like it could be scabies - mine had it once -- non-stop scratching - required an injection of Ivermec , but cleared up immediately-- check with your vet .

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Dean. I've had a few 3rd graders with scabies, never thought of my dog getting them (ew!). Great suggestion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts