Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Well, we've come from our follow up visit with our new best friend, Dr. Greentree at Angell Memorial and it looks like we're holding our own, no better but no worse, thank God. Francis even held still for the tonometry.
Now, the bad news: his Xalatan eye drops cost me $92.00!!! I'm a student, this is killer, killer expensive. His TruSop went for $39.00!
Does anyone have a line on cheaper meds? I'll do anything, even go into debt, to get his meds but is there a cheaper way? Thanks in advance for any advice I can get.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Talk to your vet AND talk to other vets. As quickly as possible.

It's probably different with meds for glaucoma, but ... when my last cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, the vet recommended Tapazole instead of laser or radiation (??? can't remember which) on his thyroid.

The cost was very reasonable at first, but suddenly skyrocketed through the roof. I was a student at the time, like you are now, and paying $70-80-90+ a month for his Tapazole hurt like no one's business.

Then I discovered other vets were writing different kinds of prescriptions for the same medications for what would have been a cost of $10-20 per month for the meds (which it had been originally). It had to do with the drug salesmen and with some kind of differentiation they were making between Tapazole for humans and Tapazole for cats. The human Tapazole: dirt cheap. The cat Tapazole: through the roof!

So long story to say, you really need to do some research. I would absolutely first ask your vet, then ask around at other vets.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I just searched for xalatan on the web and there are many cheap sources for this drug. You may have to get a prescription from your vet, but many vets will do this.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Call around to human pharmacies and, as Dean suggested, check the internet. Much as I hate to make this observation, if this is primary glaucoma, it's likely that the vision in Fran's good eye will go within a year, give or take. At that time, you'll probably have his eyes removed and be done with it. I know this sounds terrible, but the expensive meds probably aren't something you're going to have to struggle with for the rest of his life. :(

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Betsy is right on all counts. First, we had Annabelle's scrips filled at human pharmacies. So we were able to call around and get the best prices. (They still weren't cheap, by the way; the best price we found on Xalatan was $50 for that tiny little bottle!).

And, she's right, that probably within a year, sadly, you won't have to worry about the price of those drops anymore. :( Annabelle only had three months between one eye, and the other.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm seeing Xalatan on Canadian web sites for $25.00 + $15.00 shipping....anyone have any comment or experience with this?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
:blush: Yes.

Over the past 2-3 years, I've filled a couple of prescriptions from my doctor through both Canadian and Mexican pharmacies.

Shipping will be a big cost, due to customs, etc. However, even with shipping, the cost will be much less than American pharmacies.

In addition, a Canadian pharmacy will get the meds to you more quickly than a Mexican pharmacy, although you absolutely need to ask how long delivery will take.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts