Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What vegetables do you all recommend to supplement that won't contribute to gas? Thanks, Belinda.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I am not an expert on this by any means, but Duke loves carrots, as they are crunchy, and they don't seem to bother him in any way. I think they are a fairly healthy treat for bassets. Sandy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I read in a magazine about Basset Hounds that carrots are excellent treats...healthy too!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
My guys love carrots, green beans, lettuce, whatever I'm making really........

·
Registered
939 Posts
why would any one want to feed a known meat eater veggies???? but since i like you Belinda i would say give Molly,Cabbage,saurkraut,baked beans,broccoli.now for real i think i seen somewhere on this site the dangers of feeding certain plant/veg.products to our hounds.i forgot which ones are toxic, but i don't have to worry cause i got plenty of Black Gold.if you ran out Belinda i'll give you some to save Molly from not being able to perform in the field because her dietary needs were not met.p.s. stop stalking me!!!! ;) Billy

·
Registered
443 Posts
Lightning LOVES carrots and apples. (I know apples aren't veggies.) But if your baby is on a diet (which Lightning is supposed to be, but we have apple trees out back and can't keep him away from them), apples probably aren't a good idea.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
My pups love carrots, broccoli and beans!

I used to make stews for Biscuit and supplement with a LOT of veggies because it helped his anal glands so much --- it really made a difference.

Nowadays, I don't feed the stews so much, but they still get lots of veggies. Carrots and broccoli are especially liked --- and yes, apples, too.

Don't EVER give them onions, though!

Right now, they're chowing down on doggie pumpkin bread, made with plain pumpkin (and lots of it) and sweetened with only molasses. :)

The gas problem -- eh, some get it, some don't. Yogi always has little poots, no matter what he eats. :roll:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I don't mean "pass gas" gas, I mean internal "cause pain" gas. I'll try broccoli instead of my usual green beans. I do the carrot thing, they love the baby carrots, sweet potatos and pumpkin. Take care, Belinda.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts