Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I heard that we were in the 17 year cicada season. Those buggers are loud when there is just 1 or 2 around. I hadn't really considered what it would be like for Gus with, say, 100 around. :( He was outside a few weeks ago when there was a lone thunderboom. I never saw him scrabble around like he did then.

Betsy has the bug phobia too. She'll stare at the ceiling for DAYS if there had been a bug in the house for only a few minutes. And if you make a buzzing sound, she bolts out of the room like a bat out of hell.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmm... Last time it happened around here, I was 13 years old. I don't remember seeing or hearing an excessive amount of big bugs. And since I'm a bit of a bug-a-phobe myself, I probably would have noticed. :p

I know my county is one that is slated to have the big bug visit. Actually, my county has a few overlapping broods, so we are supposed to have another emergence in 9 years and yet another in 13 years. I don't remember a huge amount of cicadas when I was 17 or when I was 22, so maybe there just aren't a whole lot of them around here. Our soil is this thick red clay only a few inches down, so maybe cicada babies have trouble digging into it. Heck, that's fine by me. If I were a dog, I'd hide from those big bugs myself!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts