Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took 8 little basset puppies and their momma to the vet Wednesday (2 days ago) for their first shots... momma needed her yearly boosters so we got those as well... less than 24 hours later we had a few puppies vomiting just once or twice... today all have thrown up at least once or twice...and now momma dog... no diarrhea- very active, playful... barking like mad... will eat if I offer them chicken and rice... but not really wanting the dry kibble... drinking, peeing as usal (based on the puddles)... mom still nursing off and on (pups are just turned 7 weeks)- They would dearly love to eat the throw up if I can't move fast enough... :confused: I've called the vet twice now who recommends watching- if sx change to bring them back in but the activity level and fluids are good... is it possible this is a reaction to the vaccine? I have 2 other dogs that did not get any shots and are perfectly fine! Has anyone had this happen before? They don't act sick at all!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Why have you had them innoculated already? Surely they receive early immunity/antibodies
from their mum and could be done at 9 or 10 weeks when they go to their new owners?

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Why have you had them innoculated already? Surely they receive early immunity/antibodies
from their mum and could be done at 9 or 10 weeks when they go to their new owners?

Umm Ot the age that dogs loose immunity is highly variable hence the need for rounds of puppy shots. The recomenndation by AAHA on puppy vaccines for Parvo virus, distemper canine adenovirus, is 3 sets of shots beging at 6-8 weeks of age ending at 14-16 weeks.

AAHA Vaccine Protocol 2006 revised

Yes it is possible a reaction to the vaccine but could be coincidential as well. You should inform your vet about the possible reaction.

momma needed her yearly boosters so we got those as well
Yearly boostes r are not required for core vaccine ie. parvo, distemper, adenovirus, (rabbies Except when required by local ordinance)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes- the vet is aware of the odd reaction- He recommends first set at 6 weeks... and I dawdled till 7 weeks as they weren't going anywhere and I preferred to wait (well that and the logistics of moving that many puppies- needed extra hands)... they just ate some chicken and rice and are up running the basset 250 (not big enough for the basset 500)- its odd...gag...throw up and take off running! We have been very hot out here (pushing 100) and the puppies run in and out the doggy door to play- but we've locked them in during the real hot part of the day - I wondered about the heat but it doesn't quite fit either. They play in the shade and have plenty of water- aren't ever out for very long periods either. We went and got a new bag of puppy food just in case... but again- they've been eating from that same bag at least a week so doesn't make sense.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I prefer to have my pups vaccinated at 8 weeks. I think it's less likely to harm them the older they are, and this way they have two weeks to recover from the shots before going to their new homes, and two weeks after changing homes before they need the next ones.

Definitely annual boosters are not needed. I currently have my dogs done every 3 years, and not at all after the age of 10 or if they have a health issue

I've had reactions to vaccines, but vomiting wasn't one of them. I'd be more worried about them possibly having picked up a bug at the vet's, but hopefully it's just a stress reaction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts