Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no experience with UTIs in dogs, but suspect Spencer may have one. Last night, he peed in my bed - alot! This is so uncharacteristic of him, as he has always let me know when he has to go, even in the middle of the night. The smell of his urine was very strong. Today, he has not gone potty more than normal, but has had a bit more to drink than usual (eating is normal). In addition, he is very lethargic - been sleeping all day. Normally, he is up & about. I have also noticed him licking his penis alot (sorry to be blunt!) My question - is this something that is going to land us at the emergency vet tonight or tomorrow, or will he be ok until Monday? Thanks for any input.
Amy

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'd call the vet and see what they say- off the top of my head, it doesn't seem like a good idea to let an infection go for 2 days-

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I think I'd take him in ASAP.

In my humble and entirely nonmedical opinion, it's good that he's peeing.

The rest, however, I find pretty troubling.

Let us know what's going on when you find out!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We just returned from the vet. Spencer does not have a UTI. The vet did find his penis very red & irritated, but she is not sure from what. She put him on an antibiotic for it & I have to apply some cream to it (fun! :)) She was concerned about his frequent drinking & urination, and also the fact that he has been steadily losing weight despite having a good apetite. Last year at this time he was 6 pounds heavier than now. She said she felt something was going on, but was not sure what. She mentioned a concern about Cushings Disease - said he had some but not all the symptoms. So, I have to take him back Wednesday for a blood test. They couldn't draw blood today, as he had already eaten breakfast.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
One of our dachshunds who passed away a few years ago had Cushings- he took medication for many years and did well on it. Let us know how it goes- good luck!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the link, Betsy. Sabian's mom, the vet did mention diabetes, but said the sugar level in his urine was normal. From my reading on the net, he has more symptoms of diabetes than Cushings. Hopefully the blood test will tell us something.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Good luck, and we are sending healing drool to Spencer. Poor guy, hopefully the vet will find the cause of his symptoms and he will be his happy bouncy self really soon.

·
Registered
775 Posts
We also send Spencer lots of healing drool and wish him good health.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the good wishes. Spencer had blood drawn this evening, and the results should be back tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts