Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful 4 month baby girl basset. She has had a problem with concurrent UTIs. I had her to the vet who put her on Amox,which didn't help then Ceftin which helped but as soon as she was finished symptons stared. I took her to the vet now on a sulper med. Anyone can help me or tell me a word of wisdom and support

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm sorry for your little girl! I've not had this problem myself, so I can't comment, perhaps someone else can. Anyway, I hope she's all better soon!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The usual approach to recurrent UTI's is to obtain a urine sample by a procedure called cystocentesis and to run a lab test called a "culture and sensitivity", or C/S. This test grows (cultures) the infectious organisms from the urine, identifies them, and then tests them to see which antibiotics can be used to treat them. Not all antibiotics are active against all organisms.

Then dog then gets a lengthy course of antibiotics (2-4 weeks). If there continue to be recurrent infections, additional evaluation is necessary to rule out a predisposing condition, like bladder stones or abnormalities of the urinary tract.

Urinary Tract Infection--course notes for veterinary students.

[ August 25, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by lnrider:
I'm sorry for your little girl!  I've not had this problem myself, so I can't comment, perhaps someone else can.  Anyway, I hope she's all better soon!
Thank you for your concern. ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Betsy Iole:
The usual approach to recurrent UTI's is to obtain a urine sample by a procedure called cystocentesis and to run a lab test called a \"culture and sensitivity\", or C/S. This test grows (cultures) the infectious organisms from the urine, identifies them, and then tests them to see which antibiotics can be used to treat them. Not all antibiotics are active against all organisms.

Then dog then gets a lengthy course of antibiotics (2-4 weeks). If there continue to be recurrent infections, additional evaluation is necessary to rule out a predisposing condition, like bladder stones or abnormalities of the urinary tract.

Urinary Tract Infection--course notes for veterinary students.
Thank you for the information and the web site. :roll: :roll: :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts