Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Harriet has a urinary tract infection. This evening she's straining to pee, and when she does, it smells odd, almost fishy. I'm calling the vet tomorrow morning when they open, but does anyone know anything that I can do for her in the meantime? She doesn't seem to be feeling bad, but I know how yucky that can feel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Charlie just got through a uti. I think she was in the early stages. She never seemed to strain to pee.. but she was seeming to have more accidents in the house. She did have a discharge that would hang from her though after she peed. Unfortunately we had to pay 50 dollars for a urine analysis. They put her on an antibiotic that she took for ten days. Other than the meds, I don't really know what else there is to do. Sorry. Good luck with her though. Poor pup!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back from the vet, she does have a uti, and has antibiotics for 2 weeks. That seemed like a long time to me, but whatever it takes for her to feel better. I'm wondering if this will set back house training or help it. On the one hand she's peeing outside every 20 minutes. On the other, there are times that I miss it and she squats inside.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Two weeks seems to me like an appropriate time for her to be on the antibiotics.

The housetraining will likely get a little easier as Harriet's infection clears up. When Ninja (our puppy) had her infections, we were having to take her out several times an hour, and she still had accidents. It was pretty much impossible to housetrain her because she just could not hold it in. Once she was infection-free, she caught on amazingly fast though.

I hope Harriet is better soon.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mattie has had her fair share of UTI. It seems like she always wakes me up in the middle of the night and starts with them.. She pees every 10 minutes it seems like. And she won't settle down and she praces around. I always take her to the vet as soon as possible the next morning, and the vet put her on antibiotics for 2 weeks (so that seems right). Also of the time the vet also pumps some fluid in her to help her pee more. Vet also told me to make sure she drinks plenty of fluids and I could even put some popcorn salt on her food so she drinks more fluids.. Normally Mattie stucks the water down on her own so I have only had to do the salt thing a couple of times when she has had UTI.

Since Mattie has had a few UTI, the vet has gave me some antibiotics to keep at home in case she starts with a UTI on a weekend or during the night so I can start her on them as soon as possible.

It is not fun having a dog on UTI at all.. Mattie & I hope Harriet feels better soon!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts