Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9-week old seems to have a UTI, She squats and only lets out a few drops (atleast 9-10 times in one outing) also she seems to be having many more accidents in the house. I called the vet and the soonest she could see us is this upcoming friday. Does anyone know anything that I can safely do to make her feel a bit better until then? Any advice would be more than appreciated...I can't stand seeing her upset like this.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Making her wait a week isn't appropriate. If she were my dog, I would take her to an emergency vet, if you can't get her in with anyone else sooner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're the first person I've talked to, since being on the phone with several vets in the area, who seems to think it's that serious to necessitate emergency vet services (not that I feel as though you're opinion doesn't matter, or else I wouldn't have come here) but how serious is this condition?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I use the same standards for medical care for myself and my animals. If I had a UTI I would not wait a week to see a doctor. I think it's strange that your vet thinkks this is OK-

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If my vet told me I had to wait a week for her to see my dog that has symptoms of a urinary tract infection, I'd be looking for a new vet.

For one thing you can't diagnose on just the symptoms. Your vet would have to determine from a urine sample if there was blood, white cells, protein, crystals etc. She'll probably need an x-ray.

One reason the dog needs to be seen ASAP is because your pup is uncomfortable and most likely in pain. Other reasons for prompt treatment:
The importance of timely diagnosis and treatment of UTI's cannot be emphasized enough. Untreated UTI's have been shown to lead to urolithiasis, renal failure, prostatitis and discospondylitis in dogs, and even sepsis.
From River Road Veterinary Clinic Check this website for more detailed info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is it's not just one vet. I thought the same thing when my girlfriend got off the phone with them, and then we called another, and another and they all seemed very calm about it and said around thursday-friday...seems kinda weird to me as well. So all I can do is try another vet and try and make her more comfortable, is there anything you reccomend aside from an immediate vet visit?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Your dog doesn't have a diagnosis, so no one here can render an opinion on "how serious" her condition is. If it's a UTI, she's in pain, and untreated UTI's may put dogs at risk for other disorders (kidney infection, bladder stones, for example). If it were my dog, I'd have her evaluated sooner, rather than later.

ETA, I mention an emergency vet because they're open on weekends and dogs can be seen at any time.

[ March 25, 2006, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Are you looking for information about drug treatments?

You're aware, if you treat with the wrong antibiotics or the wrong dosages, your dog could develop an antibiotic resistant strain, if indeed she has an infection. Treating an antibiotic resistant strain is going to cost you a whole lot more than going to the emergency vet.

You need to take your pup to the vet or the emergency vet.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
There's an emergency veterinary clinic about 10 miles from the town you live in.
Emergency Veterinary Clinic Incorporated
(410) 788-7040
32 Mellor Ave
Catonsville, MD 21228

We can only offer suggestions and provide information. It's up to you to decide what's best for your pup along with input from a competent veterinarian whom you trust.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
"One reason the dog needs to be seen ASAP is because your pup is uncomfortable and most likely in pain" quote from moderator's post

When you speak to the vet's receptionist emphasize that this is not a routine visit. All vets keep time slots open for animals that need to be treated for other than routine visits-

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
One problem with trying to make her comfortable without actually having her evaluated is that, if her symptoms subside, you may assume she's cured, and you may elect not to have her evaluated. Unfortunately, urinary problems, including UTI's, can persist in an asymptomatic state, still putting dogs at risk for the above-mentioned complications.

[ March 25, 2006, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

A

·
0 Posts
I am very surprised that even if they couldn't see her right away that they didn't just ask you to bring a urine sample in. That would answer your question right away. I've never brought mine in at first notice of problems-- just a sample and then we go from there. I would call them and ask if they had time to do that. I've waited for results sometimes only 20 minutes and off I would go with the proper antibiotic. Even if they need to send it out I ask for something just to help her until the results come back. Most of the time they are right on the money and she's already on the right antibiotic. A UTI can be very uncomfortable for her and the faster you can get help the better. It can lead to bigger problems too but it's best to catch it ASAP

·
Registered
78 Posts
i agree with the above members responses. i would gather a urine speciman asap. and then to the ER for testing.

get a small small coffee can lid or yogurt lid and slide right under her from the back end while she squats. you will be able to gather it without her knowing. take it to the vet for testing.

cant believe you are expected to wait 1 week.

[ March 25, 2006, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: jmm ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts