Basset Hounds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I frequently go to petfinder because that is where I found my Basset, and I came across this poor little girl in need of a home, there is not too much info about her, other than she does not have a lot of time or options left. I am a new dog owner and am not ready for another right now. I thought I would atleast post the link to her here, hope it helps. Thanks.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&...350&tmpl=&stat=

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I would beware of having anything to do with any rescue organization who uses a hotmail address and gives as their address only New England, MA.

Anyone have any details about this organization, if it indeed exists? According to the website Rescue Unlimited they don't have dogs but list dogs found in shelters. Also says
h adoption is contingent upon an application, homecheck, contract and adoption fee. Adoption fees are $225 for each pet. Pets are generally fostered/located outside the New England area. If professionally transported from foster home to New England, there will be additional transport fees (generally $50) No pet will be placed without having been spayed or neutered, with the exception of small, young puppies, which will be sent home with a strict spay/neuter contract. No exceptions.
There's money to be made in rescuing dogs so I would only go thru a local shelter or a basset hound rescue this is a 501©(3) non-profit organization. Notice how easy it is to click and donate money or items. :eek:

[ July 12, 2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I followed a link to their website it looks like they specialize in "cattle dogs" and deaf dogs and that they are actaully moving or shutting down or something, this basset may just be a guest on their site.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm emailing them now. MA is not far depending on where. Only trouble is I have a 7 year old and it says they will not adopt out to a family with anyone under 7. So we'll see....

Doreen

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks Barbara.. those cute faces get you every time. I wondered what kind of site they were myself but not knowing much about them.. thanks for your advice and expertise.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barbara,
I think the $225 fee is only for fosters, I could be wrong though. Maybe the "rules" they have listed are flexible if indeed her situation is as grim as they state. This Basset is in a shelter and is listed as "courtesty listing", I do agree the site is a little suspect, but I will try to research on my own and find out what shelter she is in, if her situation is as urgent as they say, I thought my posting here would help, if she is in New England maybe there are rescue organizations out there willing to help or atleast get her out of the shelter and into a foster home.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here's the text of the email from "Rescue Unlimited"

This girl is not in MA, she is out of state. The shelter is one I have
worked with for a number of years and does fabulous work with the care of
the animals while at the shelter and in getting them into the right
situations. They are willing to adopt this girl out of state if its done
with the help of a local rescue who can perform all the necessary adoption
procedures as well as the follow up.

I am happy to obtain more info on her. She is 1 of 3 Bassets that came into
that shelter this week alone. One was adopted & the other is heartworm
positive, so will have to find a sponsor willing to have her treated if she
is to have a chance.

I will double check on this girls temperament with other dogs, though from
what I heard initially, she is all love when it comes to ppl and dogs.

Will be in touch.

Rescue Unlimited

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am at a complete loss here? Surely NEBHR and Colonial are much more organized and well known, but is that the point? or is rescuing a basset in need. I had a bit of a nightmare with the rescue organization I adopted my Basset from, they lied about him being healthy falsified his papers etc. But I would not change a thing because everything I went though resulted in me having the best thing I have ever had. My dog is happy, healthy, and safe. I am disappointed and surprised at the response my post has received. I feel the suspiciousness about the organization itself will deter anyone in helping or adopting, perhaps this is not the ideal "situation" for adopting, but not everything in life is easy. Why would you discourage someone from adopting this Basset by referring them to the (2) previously referenced organizations, yes warn them about potentially shady situations by all means, offer your advice, as I will offer mine. I am sorry, I am very upset, and thought the whole point was to help animals, I will go it on my own to help her!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Thanks, Barbara, for your time and effort to help ensure the readers of Cyberhound have the best and most reliable information for making the best choices, both for themselves and their hounds. :) It's a thankless job and I know you get a lot of flack, but I know I'm not the only one who appreciates all the work you do here and have done over the years.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I sense people getting a little overexcited here.

Mere, please be assured that the reactions to your post are meant in the best interest of all concerned. I agree with you that if a basset needs to be rescued it shouldn't matter where it comes from. Rescue Unlimited may not be the best known, established, recognized Basset rescue service, but I'm sure they do the best they can. It does sound like they are not running at full strength, being in the middle of a "move", but they apparently continue to try to help by posting rescue notices that seem to be urgent. I note that they are not offering an adoption service right now and not actually taking any dogs on in a physical sense.

I think Barbara is trying to make sure you are not at risk of being a "soft touch" for some sort of scam artist rescue web site. She is concerned at the ease with which this site will take your money by way of donations. What if this is a scam and the dogs featured are actually "poached" from a genuine rescue organization? You could maybe hand over your money and never see the animal. Maybe that's why they are "moving", and don't take new animals themselves. With no real contact details on the site it could be very risky.

I would hope a genuine basset rescue organization would already be stepping in to rescue the Basset in question from wherever it actually is in the country. One or two days left..... where? If you do have a positive experience after all, then I hope you are not put off from coming back with more questions and comments! Similarly, if our fears are found to be correct, please continue to read and post!

Barbara, I would echo the appreciation shown above for the excellent advice you give and the work you do in moderating this forum.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. My heart went out to this Pup as well. I made the mistake of buying Louie, who I love dearly, from a pet store. Yup, he is a puppy mill dog. He is a gorgeous specimen of a Basset, but darn it, he is allergic to life. He can only eat the most expensive food, or he has bloody bowel movements and is rashy from head to toe. He has lost all the hair under his armpits. Would I trade him for a well bred Basset? NEVER!!! I fell in love with this dog and this is the dog I have. BUT, the vet bills for Louie in the past year have been well over $2500!!! He has been on antibiotics 5 times and steroids twice. Everyone in the neighborhood knows him and loves him. He has a great life with lots of attention and lots of love. I paid $800 for him, he was on sale from $1200!! I guess my point is is that someone made an awful lot of $$ off of Louie. Sad to say as well, that I am suspecting he was so overbred that his immune system was what suffered from it. The folks here are probably the most loving Basset people I have ever met. They are trying to save you heartache and money, not tell you to don't rescue this animal. I probably wouldn't have listened to them either, once the heart falls for a Basset, that is it no matter what the circumstances are!! Good luck to you! (HUGS) Joanne

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could not stop thinking about this situation all night and am still upset. Is this organization not "legitimate" because they accept donations? or that they list that they are in New England? rather than an address, maybe it is multiple volunteers spread across New England. Are the members on this site who list their location as New England not legitimate as well? I have been in touch with this organization about these hounds and find them to be very caring, and very legitimate. They are listing them as a courtesy.

The point is to find homes for hounds not bash the rescue organization trying to help them.

posted May 23, 2005 07:09
If you have an issue with an individual rescue organization please call or send a letter by snail mail to that organization voicing your complaint. The purppose of this forum is to promote rescue and discuss issues but not to bash individual rescue organizations.

[ May 23, 2005, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

Funny, I could not log on this morning as I usually do everyday, wonder why that is? Does not matter though, I do not think I will be coming back here anytime soon. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Seems like we have a shared goal of helping bassets while not getting scammed in the process, if at all possible. That's why I usually limit rescue donations to my local rescue--I know the people involved and I've seen the work they do.

While this approach works for me, I'm not saying that's the best or the only way to go. People make individual decisions about they feel is right and what level of risk they're willing to accept. More information is always better than less, when assessing benefits vs. risks.

Thanks to the level-headed contributors to the discussion. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.