Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Congratulations!!!

Murray and I were certified about 2 years ago for pet therapy work and have been very active in our local organization since then. We love it!

I think bassets are a perfect breed for pet therapy- they're sweet and gentle and laid back- the only draw back is their height: Murray is too short to visit with patients who are confined to tall hospital beds.(perfect for wheelchairs though!)

I would love to hear more about what you are doing with your dogs with pet therapy!

And again, congratulations to you and Fred!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Reading this topic has been great and very encouraging! I want to get Jesse (almost 7 months old) certified to be a therapy dog. We're starting basic manners next week through the local AKC club. I take her almost everywhere with me in the evenings/weekends... dog park, Pet Smart, walking around, and anywhere that allows pets. Every time we see anyone or their kids who wants to pet her, I welcome it to get her used to this sort of activity.

Anyways, is there anywhere you would recommend that I take her to get used to seeing wheel chairs, walkers, crutches and the like? I know she needs to be at least a year old before she can be evaluated through a pet therapy organization, but I'd at least like her to be exposed to some of the things that she would see in a place to visit. Does it even matter?

Thanks!

P.S. I attached a photo of Jesse dreaming of being a therapy dog.

[/b]
In my opinion, I don't think it matters- it sounds like you're doing a great job of socializing her, exposing her to all kinds of people and situations. I bet she'll be a great therapy dog! Please keep us updated- I'm always interested to hear what other folks invovled in pet therapy are doing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts