Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been a member here long, and I have only had my young basset rescue boy since the 1st of July, but from the moment I met him, I knew he was a GREAT dog! He will be 1 yr. old in December.

As some of you may know, I have 2 mastiffs that are CGC, TDI and TT. I am very involved with therapy dog work and enjoy it so much.

Fred passed his CGC tonight, and our therapy evaluations are scheduled starting the 15th of December. He will be registered through Therapy Dogs Incorporated, so there is a minimum of 3 evaluated nursing home visits before he can become a therapy dog. I did take him to a Juvenile Detention Center last week to meet the kids, and they all loved him and he had a great time!

I just want you all to know that I feel very blessed to have a basset in our lives. They truly are a wonderful breed!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Congratulations!!!

Murray and I were certified about 2 years ago for pet therapy work and have been very active in our local organization since then. We love it!

I think bassets are a perfect breed for pet therapy- they're sweet and gentle and laid back- the only draw back is their height: Murray is too short to visit with patients who are confined to tall hospital beds.(perfect for wheelchairs though!)

I would love to hear more about what you are doing with your dogs with pet therapy!

And again, congratulations to you and Fred!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Congratulations! I think that is a wonderful thing for people and their dogs to do. A friend of mine was doing that with her dog and it really makes a difference in the lives of people who are in nursing homes.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:D Congratulations, Fred!!! That's awesome!! Bogie Carter has his CGC, but there is nowhere to get certified for therapy here. Wish there was!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the kind comments!

I ask myself all the time, who's actually getting therapy out of this, I also know it's me!

I could go on and on about therapy dog work, and it's benefits to both the recipients as well as the dog and handler, but you would get very bored with me as this is my passion.

I started doing therapy work after my skin kids grew up and I was left with a very quiet house. Although I work, I was still bored. I work in a nursing home, and so when I had the opportunity to enroll my young mastiff in the therapy dog course I did, and now I am hooked on making others happy with my canine companion whom I love so much. Actually, I got another mastiff puppy, so my husband could come with me!!

When we got Fred, I already had my sights on taking him too.

This is my hobby, it keeps me out of trouble ; ). I love taking my dogs with me places, and spending time with them one on one. We visit and then go for some frozen yogurt at the Dairy Queen!

The places that are on our schedule are about 6 nursing homes, a juvenile detention center, Hospice House, several schools, a few church groups (children), "meet the breed" at some all breed dog shows, and festivals where people love to stop and pet the dogs. We are invited to all of these places and we have to schedule them because we are so busy. Sometime it is several months before we can schedule a new place in. Eight volunteer hours a week is not unusual. I try to take a different dog with me as it takes alot of patience on the part of these wonderful dogs. I want them to enjoy seeing their friends, and I want them to enjoy their job.

I can't wait to get Fred started. He will make a great ambassador for the breed.

For those of you who are interested, try calling the local kennel club, sometimes they offer therapy evaluations, or may know who does! You may also get a TDI at your Basset Nationals (don't know this for sure), that has been my experience with English Mastiffs anyway. You may want to check those options!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Reading this topic has been great and very encouraging! I want to get Jesse (almost 7 months old) certified to be a therapy dog. We're starting basic manners next week through the local AKC club. I take her almost everywhere with me in the evenings/weekends... dog park, Pet Smart, walking around, and anywhere that allows pets. Every time we see anyone or their kids who wants to pet her, I welcome it to get her used to this sort of activity.

Anyways, is there anywhere you would recommend that I take her to get used to seeing wheel chairs, walkers, crutches and the like? I know she needs to be at least a year old before she can be evaluated through a pet therapy organization, but I'd at least like her to be exposed to some of the things that she would see in a place to visit. Does it even matter?

Thanks!

P.S. I attached a photo of Jesse dreaming of being a therapy dog.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Reading this topic has been great and very encouraging! I want to get Jesse (almost 7 months old) certified to be a therapy dog. We're starting basic manners next week through the local AKC club. I take her almost everywhere with me in the evenings/weekends... dog park, Pet Smart, walking around, and anywhere that allows pets. Every time we see anyone or their kids who wants to pet her, I welcome it to get her used to this sort of activity.

Anyways, is there anywhere you would recommend that I take her to get used to seeing wheel chairs, walkers, crutches and the like? I know she needs to be at least a year old before she can be evaluated through a pet therapy organization, but I'd at least like her to be exposed to some of the things that she would see in a place to visit. Does it even matter?

Thanks!

P.S. I attached a photo of Jesse dreaming of being a therapy dog.

[/b]
In my opinion, I don't think it matters- it sounds like you're doing a great job of socializing her, exposing her to all kinds of people and situations. I bet she'll be a great therapy dog! Please keep us updated- I'm always interested to hear what other folks invovled in pet therapy are doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.