Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we got the results back on his x-rays. He is going to have to see a Orthopedic surgeon. Apparently one of the bones in his lower leg has stopped growing but the other one hasn't and they are pushing his elbow out of joint. They said that it will only get worse. I know that when you get a pet it is for better or for worse but All of my pets have been for worse. I worry it is something in their environment, like the food or water. I feed them Iams. I switched my cats over to a science diet that is organic. There are so many foods to choose from. But now I am off subject. It is going to cost two thousand dollars. Unfortunately I just don't have that money available to me. And then of course my husbands car broke down and that is going to be a pretty penny. I am still trying to catch up from when my cat was sick. Sorry for the pity party, he has to have the surgery, but money is so frustrating.
I think he knows he is sick because he has been SOOO naughty lately. When we can't watch him we put him on a leash tied to the coffee table, with all his toys around and that is where he hangs out. Well he has learned to chew through the leashes now to set himself free. What a brat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi
I have a diabetic cat and the website I use for him has a list of organizations that help with pet medical expenses.
IMOM.org
aahahelpingpets.org
angels4animals.org
carecredit.com
There are more listed but those are the top ones. I know one person whos cat was in bad shape used IMOM.org and it was a fairly fast to get it worked out. I don't know what you need to qualify but it couldn't hurt to check them out. Sense my cat was diagnosised diabetic I found out dry cat food is not a good choice for cats. They are high in carbs. So I switched all three cats to low carbed canned food and the diabetic kitty came off insulin.
I have my bassets on Iams weight control . It seems to help keep Charlies weight under control and after Brandy was spayed she gained on me so I switched her over too. I don't know if it is the best for them or not but they will eat it. I went out and bought several brands of weight control and Charlie would only eat the Iams. I let miss piggy eat the other up mixing it with her regular food. Charlie when he was little could only eat lamb and rice, now he is on chicken and rice.
I hope all goes well with the surgery and maybe you can get some help from one of these places.
steph

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm sorry it's a problem that's going to be so expensive. Maybe you could ask for a second opinion, just to be sure that it will be money well spent.

B

·
0 Posts
WOW When it rains it poors. Hope those websites will work 4 U. Good luck Duncan on surgery and the recup. Tummy Boy's Mom.

T

·
0 Posts
Definitely check out CareCredit. I know several people who have used it and it has been the difference between being able to do the treatment and not being able to do it. It is what I will have to do if Twinkie ever needs anything really major done (God forbid).

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about getting a second opinion. It is difficult in Wisconsin, I live in central wisconsin so i am not near any large cities. We have an appointment with the surgeon in the 14 but I am not sure if he is experienced with bassets. He said that this is common with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts