Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Button for about a month or so now and her potty training is doing much better. She does still have occasional accidents, but she is starting to get the idea. She's now begun the new habit of wanting to eat her poop. We usually feed her close to 12 hour intervals. 9am and 9pm or fairly close to that. The other night, 10 minutes past her dinner time and she pooped in the floor and was eating it. Today, 2 hours after her dinner time, she poops in the kitchen and was eating it. I know she wasn't hungry the second time, so what's the deal? We've upped her food a little bit because in between meals, it seems like she gets so hungry that she retches up foam. I know it's not bloat...believe me, that scares me more than anything....so i guess she's not being fed enough. Aaron's uncle said that she got a cup of food twice a day, but we never found out if that was a cup cup or just a full plastic cup. I don't get why she's now started to eat her poop. She's only done it those two times, but I really don't want it to turn into a bad habit. Should I get her some Potty Mouth pills?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.....and she pooped as soon as she got done eating dinner too outside. bassets have got to be the poopiest dogs i've ever seen. my mom's boxers don't even poop as much as button does. geez!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sometimes they just do that. Most of the time they grow out of it. We had to watch Lucy like a hawk so she wouldn't. We tried food add ins like For-Bid, which worked great, but we have 3 dogs, 2 of them pretty big, and you have to feed it to all the dogs, so it was expensive. We tried another kind too and it did not work as well. Oddly, after we STOPPED putting that one in her food she quit doing it! Maybe she just outgrew it too, not really sure. There are some websites if you Google with some really helpful ideas for things to add to their food that makes their poop taste bad. I know, seems like it would be bad enough, right? :) Good luck!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Puppies do the grossest things. Molly is a poop eater, but is growing out of it. I think Winston has snacked a couple of times too. Our last dog did the same thing and she grew out of it. Molly knows the "leave it" command and we use that when she's eyeing up a poop. It seems to work. In the meantime, it's just something you deal with and try to get to it before the dog does.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have that "Nasty Habit" stuff.

One of the blue collar comedy guys said something about how it's spozed to make the poop "taste bad"

hahahah

·
Registered
616 Posts
You might try feeding her more often than every 12 hours. Still feed the same amount just give her a third meal/lunch. Also get in the habit of taking her out immediately when she's done eating. The best way to keep her from eating poop is to clean it up immediately after she's done.

Poop eating seems to be pretty common in bassets. Rosco will chow down poop in a heart beat. It doesn't help that the neighbors cat comes over and poops in our yard. Apparently kitty "candy bars" are quite the basset delicacy.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Annie is really good at leaving dog poop alone, but darn it if she isn't able to sniff out every last piece of kitty poop in the world! Most of the time I can shout Drop It before she hoovers it down but not every single time. YUCK.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer leaves dog poop alone, but was on a streak for quite a while with the litter box. He's left it alone for a couple of months or so now, knock on wood.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Virga had the same exact problem. We did the coprophagia tablets but it didn't help. The thing is she wouldn't eat her own poop. She'd eat Doppler's poop! We eventually just went out with them and cleaned up Doppler's poop immediately. She seems to have outgrown it (knock on wood!). Just keep on top of her and she'll either outgrow it or you'll train her to leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
this girl who came before me... lulu... they say she used to eat litter.
they say she'd be thinkin' she was gettin' away with it too.
she'd walk in the room, acting natural, as tho NOTHING was WRONG...

...with a circle of litter around her mouth.

B-U-S-T-E-D

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
I don't get why she's now started to eat her poop.
dog have eaten poop through the centures it is genetical programed. Actual contrarly to popular belief provide the poop is not really old becaause the life cycle of most the parasites need an incubation period of at least a month.
for a theory on the evolutionary reason the dog eat poop see How wolves became dogs
Jonica Newby: For a long time scientists believed our nurturing instinct was enough to explain the relationship. We created dogs for our purposes. Man tamed the wolf - as a pet. But one outspoken professor of evolutionary biology thinks the pet theory of domestication is all just a fairy story.
Prof. Raymond Coppinger: How does it work where you go out and you bring a puppy back to the village and you make a pet out of it? And then what happens? A miracle happens, fairy godmother comes and turns it into a dog. How does it turn into a dog?

...Prof. Raymond Coppinger: Well first of all wolves are just trained to run away from you. I mean they’re going to hide their little … isn’t this a much better model. You develop a better mousetrap. You develop a village. You get food in the village. Guess who comes? All right. Now you want to postulate some great scene where I’ve got to go out into the wilderness to get those things. Which one looks, which one looks easier to you? Far from we humans domesticating them, dogs invaded us. Not as pets, but as pests.
.. it’s the rules of natural selection. It’s Darwinism if you will. They’re coming to the food. They’re coming to the waste products and the thing about humans is that there’s tremendous numbers of waste products. Scavenging on village wastes was a wonderful strategy for the early wolf-dog - and maybe they weren't such a complete nuisance after all. Rubbish dumps breed disease. A mobile post-pleistocene garbage service might have come in handy. And it could help explain the dog's least endearing habit. Eating shit.
The record of the poop eating deterints is spotty at best they ussually are ineffective. The only thing that is effect is pick up immeadately afte the dogs goes.

We've upped her food a little bit because in between meals, it seems like she gets so hungry that she retches up foam.
this is usually caused by bile aggrivating the empty stomach while feed more may help thios can lead to an overweight puppy which is a much worse problem long term health wise. As has been suggest reducing the time between meal is more effective. As is between meal snack like a couple cookies or just before bedtime can help as well.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
You might try feeding her more often than every 12 hours. Still feed the same amount just give her a third meal/lunch. Also get in the habit of taking her out immediately when she's done eating. The best way to keep her from eating poop is to clean it up immediately after she's done.

Poop eating seems to be pretty common in bassets. Rosco will chow down poop in a heart beat. It doesn't help that the neighbors cat comes over and poops in our yard. Apparently kitty "candy bars" are quite the basset delicacy.
Wow, this is a gross thread to try to read over lunch break :eek:
but yeah, agree w/roscolaylamommy (btw, shouldn't it say roscolaylabreezymommy? we're guessing breezy might begin to feel left out... !)

but definitely when Worm was 4-8 months, he got 3 meals/day. just smaller ones. so he wouldn't go too long without eating. we found it esp important to feed him something at 9 or 10pm, so he wouldn't hurl in the morning. he has gained a lot of weight since his neutering, so starting to do 2 main meals and an evening snack (yogurt-- calms tummy, a little kibble 1/4 cup, carrots-- to clean his teeth). but couple nights ago, we skipped the snack 'cause he was so tired and he vomited early the next morning. seems to really make a difference, that evening snack, to prevent upset tummy.

also, as rlbmommy says above, Worm is like clockwork. 15-30 min after meal, the poop will come out. so we take him out then and he goes, and we pick it up right away. no poop eating here (i'm sure he would if left to his own devices)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the funny thing is, is that I let her out after she ate. She got distracted by the cat and people outside and somebody coming home, so I brought her back in, kept her on the leash until everything calmed down and then took her outside again. She smelled the cat for a minute and then went smelling for a place and pooped. Then she came back in and was good for like an hour and then she pooped in the kitchen and that's what she was eating. I take her out after she eats and she goes...we're doing good on that. It's the in between poops that I haven't caught on to yet. It seems like one meal makes three poops with this dog. I've never had a dog with such a high poop production. lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Annie is really good at leaving dog poop alone, but darn it if she isn't able to sniff out every last piece of kitty poop in the world! Most of the time I can shout Drop It before she hoovers it down but not every single time. YUCK.
Oh man, that's Fergus to a T!

Only advice we have is teaching the "leave-it" command and watch her like a hawk when she's done eating. Fergus only ate his one time after a particularly good peanut butter session , but "leave-it" has worked great with my mom's mini doxie. She's mostly grown out of it now, but has also learned the command very well (which is helpful for all sorts of stuff).

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Bentley was a poop eater as a pup. He would sneak off to another part of the house and drop load, then come back to you with his poopy puppy breath (yuck).......he eventually "outgrew" it. I always had to chuckle as he would sniff his piles outside later in life in disgust reminding me of his bad habit he broke! :D I agree with same amount of food with 3 times a day feeding may help the tummy. Hopefully this will pass......good luck!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
oh yeah. basset mom... that reminds me. so he human was running (he does that a lot and for a long time... something about half of a merry thong? merri-tron? something like that) the other morning early and she human was asleep. I reverted back to my old poop-eating ways for a sec and got away with it quite well. I stood on her chest triumphantly, and then gave myself away. I got right in her face and BURRRRRRRP

oops.

poo burp. busted.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Wworm said:
shouldn't it say roscolaylabreezymommy? we're guessing breezy might begin to feel left out
I have tried to change my screen name and I can't without starting a whole new profile. Breezy says she understands and I can make it up to her with extra belly rubs.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have tried to change my screen name and I can't without starting a whole new profile. Breezy says she understands and I can make it up to her with extra belly rubs.
Lol! With a basset hound just about anything can be made up for by extra belly rubs and treats. Breezy just sounds like a real laid back girl.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts