Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news: The vet decided against the surgery because the myelogram did not show any specific damage to any of the discs.

The bad news: Our vet is scratching his head and is very perplexed because of Bogie's classic symptoms for disc problems. Therefore he didn't know where to cut/look, so no surgery. He said he'd like to switch the medications to a different pain reliever, and a non steroidal to see if they work better than the previous meds. If that doesn't do it, then he'll recommend a CT scan, which he doesn't have the equipment for, and he would refer us to the Med Vet Hospital (emergency care facility) that houses specialists of all kinds. They also have much more equipment. We had already done some checking via the net on the emergency vet facilities. Sounds like it's right up there with the new technology and up to date with vet specialists.

Our vet is keeping him overnight to keep him quiet while the effects of the myelogram wear off and to make sure all the dye is gone from his system before Bogie sees us and gets excited. The anesthetic/pain killer won't have worn off fully either until in the morning. So we'll see in the morning how he is when we go pick him up.

We plan on talking to the vet more fully in the morning. Our thoughts are scrambled at this point: Maybe go ahead with the CT without waiting on these other meds???? We'll see. His symptoms are classic for the disk degeneration disease. His problems could also be related to the injuries from the pit bulls' attack in Aug. 2008 and are now coming to light which could be effecting the spinal column??? We took in pictures this afternoon that we made of his injuries at that time so our vet could see the extent of Bogie's injuries. I do remember the one pit bull having Bogie by the neck and shaking him just before the other one grabbed him in the rear. The attack happened on our move to Memphis and this vet never saw him at that time.There's several other scenarios which may/may not exist causing the pain and problems that too numerous to speculate at this time. We'll continue to follow it out and keep you informed. Please keep the healing drool coming!!!! Connie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,902 Posts
Good for your vet for holding off on surgery when he doesn't have a clear indication of where to operate. IMO, either option (immediate CT vs. change in meds) sounds reasonable. You could also go for both: change in meds plus immediate CT. Wishing Bogie the best and hoping you're able to get his pain under control and a diagnosis quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Hope the vet can figure out exactly what's going on with Bogie and that he can get some relief from the pain. Sending lots of healing drool!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top