Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At our regular vet's recommendation we took Bogie to Dr. Tobias, a vet specialist in orthopedic and neurologic surgery. We really liked him, he was very gentle with Bogie, and very thorough with his explanations with us talking with us for about a half hour explaining, drawing pictures, and diagraming everything for us and walking us through the procedures. He thoroughly examined Bogie, and Bogie's pain is being cause by the discs in his neck and is a neurologic problem. The good things are that Bogie has no paralysis, no neurological deficits, and no incoordination at this time.

He suspects that Bogie has a slipped disc (same as herniated, bulging, ruptured disc) know as "canine cervical intervebral disease". It could be, but doubtful, an infection in the spinal cord or disc called "disconspondylitis" stemming from the Pit Bull attack and bite/puncture wounds. He feels the time frame , happening 17 months ago, is probably ruling that one out, but did concern him. Bogie hasn't had any recant trauma to the neck and he doesn't feel it's caused by tumors, growths, or cancers which show up in much older dogs.

Bogie did much better last night and was somewhat better today, so Dr. Tobias wants to go the "conservative approach" of rest, continued pain meds, short easy walks, and see him again in two weeks, hoping Mother Nature is intervening and will heal him on his own. If he gets any worse we are to take him right in.

The alternative is the "agressive approach" which has it's dangers! That's doing the imaging with a combo myleogram/CT scan which will show him what is wrong and where it is. Then if signs of a slipped disc are there he would do surgery to correct things. In the surgery, especially since it's the neck discs, there is an 85% chance things will go very well and Bogie will be fine. There is a 5% to 10% risk that things will go very bad, and we could lose him.

So for now he's happily snoozing in his bed, and we are hoping Mother Nature and rest will take care of things. He'll be evaluted again on Feb. 2nd, and we'll go from there. So keep thinking good thoughts for Bogie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
I hope that much rest will take care of Bogie's problems so he doesn't have to have another surgery. Sending lots of get well drool to Bogie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Well, I hope the conservative approach works for you guys. Franny and I will be rootin' for ya!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
I, too, hope the conservative approach works, and he's well soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Sending healing vibes to Bogie, and hugs to you. If one of my dogs isn't doing well, I'm not doing well, and you clearly are very concerned about your poor boy.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
How is Bogie? Are the meds working? We are hoping so and sending lots of drool!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top