Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bogie started on May 1st CGC classes here in Mitchell. He is really doing better than we thought in the class of 20 dogs ranging from a tiny mini Dachshund to a huge English Mastiff. When heeling he stays in position but has his nose glued to the floor sniffing all those lovely doggie smells. The instructors want his head up and suggested putting a smear of Vicks Vapo Rub under his nose to confuse his sense of smell. Has anyone ever taken these class or heard of the Vicks idea? Just wondered how other Basset owners handled this. When I called to enroll Bogie the instructor said that Bassets could be a real challenge.

Bogie sniffing while heeling.

Hey! See I've got this "Watch" thing down.

Aroooos from Bogie!
You don't own a Basset, a basset owns you!![/img]

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I've never heard of the Vicks thing. It sounds like Bogie is well on his way to his CGC- have fun with it and keep us posted!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Why does his head need to be up? He's just being a scent hound. Having Vicks under his nose sounds very unpleasant for an animal with such an acute sense of smell.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i just finished an obedience class with my basset. the instructor told me the same. never suggested vicks. i say forget the vicks...bassets are bassets. my suggestion to you is dont get stressed because your pup isnt doing exactly what others are doing. i decided that if sadie doesnt walk on the left side so be it...but my goal in class was to achieve loose leash walking no matter what side we walked on.....my sadie wanted to play with all the dogs in the class, she barked the teacher when she spoke, she did the flat basset when everyone was working and finally poo'd when i was distracted. in the end everyone loved her and we walked away with some things that we can work on...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
What a good little Bogie he is, just look at him sitting so nice. :)
And smart, too. No sense wasting good sniffing time, just standing there!

Sandy

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
There are several things you can do to get his head up. :)

When you're heeling, get his collar right up under his ears, and pull it snug but not tight. Give only enough leash to keep it there while you're heeling (there will probably be a lot of extra collar and not much leash between you and him, and that's okay). When his head dips, a quick little tug with your left hand should get it up again. You can also smile and talk to him to keep his attention up and off the floor.

Another thing you can try is using treats while heeling. Usually, this is done first with you walking backward holding a treat and him walking forward nibbling the treat as he walks. You can eventually just turn in place and start walking forward, holding the treat for him to nibble. You can progress to short legs with him heeling, watching the treat in your left hand (which is also holding the leash--it's tricky but doable;) ). You can then progress to longer legs, giving him the treat when he halts and sits.

Also, train both "heads up" and "leave it" commands. These should be trained separately from heeling, but can later be used when he drops his head.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good ideas, Betsy. I have really good results using Beggin Strips cut in tiny pieces.

Good luck with the CGC. Harley passed hers at the Michigan Waddle off lead picnic. On the recall, she started toward me, vomitted and continued on...the evaluator let us do it over.

We are currently in a ring prep class. There is also a blind Bernese Mountain Dog named Stevie. He does very well!

Alice

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great tips. Bogie did much better last night, and Betsy's idea of getting the collar right under his ears helped getting his head up. We are not doing the Vicks idea, by the way. We still have to work on the down (lying down). He doesn't like doing this, but will do it at Basset speed. Otherwise the heeling, sitting, walking quietly with other dogs, staying in sit and down positions, and "watch" are really going well. We were so proud of him last night. Now to get the "recall" after a stay and "finish" up to speed for next week. Practice, practice, and more practice. Hopefully we will get more pictures next time.

I do a great sit!!

I even walk quietly by other dogs now.

Aroooos from Bogie!!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I also found speed helpful. While not always posible in a classroom setting. he brisker the pace the opportunity there is for sniffing and the head going down. Remove the oportunity and eventual you remove the behavior, good luck.
Tips for Better Loose Leash Walking

P.S. remember on thing competion is what you make of it. You don't need to require what you don't find necessary but at the same time don't expect or accept less because the dog is a basset hound either.

Competition Is What You Want It To Be

Also, train both \"heads up\" and \"leave it\" commands. These should be trained separately from heeling, but can later be used when he drops his head.
Sniffing the Ground for Treats

Teaching "Leave It"

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mikey T: Thanks for the great sites. Great information. We are really working on the "down", which he doesn't like to do and the after stay "recall", "sit front", and "finish". He's listening a lot better now, and watches me and pays more attention. I really appreciate the help from everyone.

Arooos from Bogie!!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by BubbaLeroy
He's listening a lot better now, and watches me and pays more attention.
Once they catch onto the "training game", they really enjoy it! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts