Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Back in Jan. I posted about Zoey having seizures and we found she had valley fever. All was going well until a couple of weekends ago. She started having seizures and they wouldn't stop. Luckly they were small localized ones and she was awake. We unfortunetly called our Vet to bring her in and after very poor treatment (to both us and Zoey) we ended up taking her to the emergency clinic. They keep her for 2 days. They got the seizures under control and we found another vet. Come to find out she should have been on a higher dose of the med for valley fever and her phoenobarbatol (sp?) level was never checked. The new vet wanted us to take her to a Nerolgist (sp?), which we did. The MRI showed she has the valley fever in her brain and there is swelling around it. The swelling is what is causing the seizures. She is now on a much higher dose of the antifungal med (for valley fever) and they have her on Potassiam Bromide as well as Predazone (sp?). My question us is - is anyone else on these meds ( the Basset I mean)? Right now she is so uncomfortable because her tummy is so gassy and she drinks so much. I will be talking to the Vet today but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there was anything I could do to help make her more comfortable. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Hi,
Back in Jan. I posted about Zoey having seizures and we found she had valley fever. All was going well until a couple of weekends ago. She started having seizures and they wouldn't stop. Luckly they were small localized ones and she was awake. We unfortunetly called our Vet to bring her in and after very poor treatment (to both us and Zoey) we ended up taking her to the emergency clinic. They keep her for 2 days. They got the seizures under control and we found another vet. Come to find out she should have been on a higher dose of the med for valley fever and her phoenobarbatol (sp?) level was never checked. The new vet wanted us to take her to a Nerolgist (sp?), which we did. The MRI showed she has the valley fever in her brain and there is swelling around it. The swelling is what is causing the seizures. She is now on a much higher dose of the antifungal med (for valley fever) and they have her on Potassiam Bromide as well as Predazone (sp?). My question us is - is anyone else on these meds ( the Basset I mean)? Right now she is so uncomfortable because her tummy is so gassy and she drinks so much. I will be talking to the Vet today but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there was anything I could do to help make her more comfortable. Any info would be great.[/b]
I have had bassets on both potasium bromide, phenobarbitol and prednizone without any side effect other than the phenobarbitol nearly destroying her liver but that another story. Pred usually increase both hunger and thirst in dogs. my guess is that the increased antifungal medication is the culprit here you need to talk with the nuralogist for perhaps a different antifungal agent or using a combination of them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts