Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had to make an after hours trip to the vet tonight. My daughter was playing and running with Sadie when Sadie just stopped right in front of my daughter and she fell on Sadie. It was very scary. Sadie slowly walked over to the shed and threw up. Then she just sat there and wouldn't move much. She would get up and walk a little but very slowly. She would continue to make noises as if she was going to throw up again but never did. I felt her all over to see if she reacted as if something hurt but she didn’t. I finally picked her up and brought her in the house. I tried to get her interested in her favorite toys, a treat or chew stick but she wouldn't respond to anything. I was really worried that she had some serious internal injury. I had our vet paged he said to bring her in and he would check her over. We put her in the car, rode to the vet and after I got her out of the car she all of sudden came to life again. She practically ran into the vet’s office, she was jumping up at the counter where two cats were sitting. She acted like nothing was wrong, like her old self again. I told them she wasn't acting this way at home, not until we got here and took her out of the car. The vet examined her, said her back towards the rear was a little tender & soar but everything seemed fine. I told him I felt terrible calling him out after hours and never would of done it if she was acting like this at home. He was very nice and said it was better to be safe then wait and have something serious wrong and by morning it could of been too late. It cost me an after hours call but it was worth every penny for my peace of mind. I would be devastated if anything happened to Sadie. My daughter felt so bad she couldn't quit crying until we got to the vets and Sadie did a complete turn around. The vet said Sadie has us wrapped around her paw. He said she probably got the wind knocked out of her and has a tender spot on her back but was probably soaking up all the attention she was getting. Especially since we were all so concerned about her we were paying attention to her and ignoring the puppy at that time. Admittedly so, she has us wrapped around her paws.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Glad everything turned out okay. I bet it was worth paying for a visit to the vet if it brought you peace of mind...

Terry :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm so glad she is alright! I know how worried you were. I think once she got her wind back she decided to play it was for all she was worth. Gotta love these basset divas.

M

·
0 Posts
So glad Saduie is okay!! I know what you mean about wrapping you around their paw! When Maggie Mae was a young hound, she started sneezing and acting lethargic, out of character for her. I took her to the Vet and told the receptionist this and that MM just seemed depressed. When they called us back to the examine room, she practically ran back, tail wagging the whole time. He must have thought I was crazy. Turns out just some kind of freak sneezing fit but it did cost me a Vet bill. What we do for our Bassets!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Sorry for spelling SADIE wrong! I just woke up and am just now having my morning coffee!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
So glad Sadie is OK. It's so scary when they are suffering and can't tell you what is wrong. We air on the cautious side with our fur kid. So glad we did when Bogie swallowed the two rocks. We weren't sure what was wrong, almost decided to wait to take him to the vet, but thank goodness we didn't. We could have lost our precious Bogie to a ruptured intestine. My Mom always said, "Better safe than sorry!"

Stay healthy, Sadie, your little brother, Max, needs his "big sis".

Arooooos from Bogie Carter!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
We've also had a couple of those embarassing non-emergencies ...but I would have done the same thing as you. Again!

We go to the vet when I feel that something is not right. Period. That's our rule. Hubby isn't always as concerned as I am but they are my dogs and I love them. We go to the vet.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
One morning I got up to find that my younger boy Lightning couldn't move. I gave him some time to see if he snapped out of it, but he didn't. It was horrible to see him like that, because normally he's very active. So I made a hysterical call to the vet, somehow got Lightning into the car, and drove him to the clinic. Then I ran in the office, crying, to get someone to help me carry Lightning inside. A woman helped me get him inside, we put him on the floor, and Lightning bounced up and started running around the clinic, tail wagging a mile a minute, visiting all the other dogs in the waiting room, happy as a clam and obviously feeling no pain. I felt like the biggest idiot. But better safe than sorry. And it sounds like Sadie's symptoms were pretty scary. But still.... Why do they do these things to us?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We finally got an emergency clinic in town - and I've spent a lot of money there for those after hour emergencies. Some real, some not so real. But I am so thankful for a place to go.

Years ago when I was working for a vet we got a call from a client about her duck. She thought the duck was very depressed. She brought the duck in, the vet examined him, kept him overnight and the next morning he was fine. We decided he just wanted a night out.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm happy to hear Sadie wasn't permanently hurt. Francis also knows how to dramatize when he gets hurt, especially when I make a show of it and give him treats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts