Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a female rescue Basset Hound, Cleo. Cleo is about 9-10 months old. I had her vet checked and have her shots up to date. Cleo is under weight, and her rib are showing. Cleo is happy, affectionate and full of energy.
Is there a way to get her weight back up?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Best I can advise you is not to expect her to body up fast. In fact she shouldn't!! Find a good quality food, one that isn't cereal-based (so the food is properly absorbed rather than just filler which tends to go straight through) and feed her three meals a day, for now - breakfast around 7 am, lunch around noon and the third meal before 5 pm (although she may benefit from a fourth smaller meal before bed). I'm assuming your vet ran a fecal to make sure she doesn't have a worm-load (including Giardia) as you don't want to be feeding internal parasites. Some bassets take some months to be fully 'bodied up' although it's more usually the males who can take up to 2 years to look the part although they shouldn't be rib thin. And that would worry me. Generally the frame is there by around 7 months however.

Treats tend to put on weight!! If she's unduly active, that won't encourage weight gain. Her early start in life would affect her development too although for me, again no Basset should ever be rib thin.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
rib are showing is not an indication of being underweight depending on coat, Not much different then humans rib show and actually overweight. You need to take into perspective all parts of body condition to assess weight properly. Redirect Notice Attached is picture on of a few not overweight bassets certainly not underweight,. in which ribs are visible under certain conditions and lighting. If the ribs are never visible the dog is likely over weight/ see https://classroom.daisypeel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/canine-weight-by-chris-zink1.pdf and https://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/corpulent_canines_csp__csp_revised_.pdf
ACE2005012.jpg
ACE2005019.jpg
ACE2005036.jpg

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Some Bassets will look 'ribby' if they don't have a well-sprung ribcage. Just as some Bassets will look 'fat' to some when they just do have a well-sprung ribcage. I've had people say some of mine are fat, until invited to put their hands on the ribcage!! I believe you should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them. FWIW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miss Cleo is definitely under weight. Miss Cleo was rescued from a homeless camp, she was skin and bones.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
which means she has lost muscle mass which grows slowly. Need to look at Hi-protein moderate fat food or supplementing with low fat real meat. ie skinless chicken,. rabbit etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts