Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve heard talk of ultrasound on pup`s could cause stress related problems and low birthweight.Is this true or have there been no study`s on human or hound to back up this claim.
There was no warning with Michelle of any trouble,she was two weeks earlly had pup`s ,two were dead and one was small.
Talked with my Vet of course he wants to do it on any future breedings.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
There is the occasional study that suggests that prenatal ultrasound exams may have vague, possibly adverse effects, however, subsequent larger, better-designed studies fail to confirm these findings. Prenatal U/S performed by experienced professionals for medical indications is generally regarded as safe in humans. Nevertheless, the FDA cautions against the use of prenatal U/S for non-medical reasons.
Ultrasound is a form of energy, and even at the low levels used in imaging procedures, it can produce physical effects in tissue, such as mechanical vibrations and a slight rise in temperature. We should stress that ultrasound has been used in obstetrics for many years, and to date there's no evidence that these effects are harmful to the fetus.

So the fact that these effects exist means that we can't assume prenatal ultrasound procedures are completely innocuous. When the ultrasound procedure is performed by a qualified clinician to check for such things as fetal age, positioning or abnormalities, the medical benefit far outweighs the risk, if any. But fetuses should not be exposed to ultrasound energy simply to have a video.
Here's another page that lists, links to and discusses prenatal U/S safety studies.

Ultrasound Safety References

[ September 07, 2004, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Michael, so sorry to read about the loss of the puppies. :( Did your vet give you any indication there was anything wrong with the puppies other than being premature?

[ September 11, 2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have done ultrasounds on pregnant bitches since the '80's and never had any problem that could possibly be linked to the process. What it has done for us is the following: it has allowed us to detect resorption in process and allow us to stop it; it has allowed us to detect heartbeats too slow at whelp time so we were able to make an informed decision about doing a section; it has allowed us to see if the fluid level was normal in the uterus. I wouldn't consider breeding a bitch without an ultrasound.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barbara the surviving pup is doing well just small,it was the first born.It took massage and mouth to snout to get the pup to take it`s first breath.The other two never took the first breath.
Carolyn my vet went down the list for me of the advantages of ultrasound.My old way of thinking that hounds have been having puppy`s for years without the assistance of ultrasound is rather behind the times.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts