Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bessi and Smili are the first puppies that my wife and I have had, so I am a bit green on typical puppy behavior.

They LOVE to play fight. It is cute to watch them snap at each other and puppy growl, etc. They do tend to pay quite rough however. Nothing seems to be off limits for those two. They will bite each others ears, paws, jowls, tails, etc. One will let out a yelp, then the other will let go, which gives the first one a chance to attack the second and we start again. I hate when they make each other cry, but they love their play fighting I have to break it up on occasion when I get worried that it is going to far.

They play very well with each other and seem to love their toys.

Should I discourage the playfighting? As they get older, they seem to be getting more aggresive with it, although they will stop in the middle and start licking one another.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
One will let out a yelp, then the other will let go
This is how they learn bite inhibition from litermates and play mates. keep in mind however unless you teach bite inhibition whith humans there bite will be too hard. Basset/dog skin is a lot tougher than human skin.

Should I discourage the playfighting?
absolutely not much learning if not most dog learning comes through play. What would be good is finding a puppy kindergarten that the pups learn social skills from other dogs bonded pairs can have stilted social skills with other dogs unless you take the time and effort to give them the opurtunity to learn from other dogs.

The Importance of Play in Dogs

Play fighting does not affect subsequent fighting success in wild meerkats

Which is another nail in the coffin of those that beleive play is sort of a dress rehersal for the real thing. Aggreessive play does not make the dog more likely to be aggressive.

Puppy license and adult behavior–STOP SEPARATING PLAY.

The Puppy License and its loss

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks as always for the info!

I shall let the battle rage on!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Mine get very rough, especially as Winston closes in on Molly's weight. You'll know when it's moving from playing to fighting. A sharp "stop it!" gets my dogs' attention and resets them a bit. Mine only seem to fight when there is an issue like a bone involved. They're pretty good at keeping each other in check though.

Enjoy their antics :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Talk of playfighting,you should see 8 of them going at it.It does get tense occasionally but they sleep together well so they don't hold grudges.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talk of playfighting,you should see 8 of them going at it.It does get tense occasionally but they sleep together well so they don't hold grudges.
I know! I was the first person to pick up my pups from the litter. There were 7 of them going at it. The only one who didn't partake was a male named Waldo. He was only interested in finding something to eat!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is that how he got his name ? every time there was a fight it was "where's waldo" !

Excatly! He was 3 lbs heavier than all his bro's and sis' I would have chosen him as one of my pups, but my older dog will not tolerate another male in the house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts