Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my other posts about a puppy reaching its adult weight, a lot of you mentioned how your dogs filled out for a few years. When we had my basset growing up, she was pretty much the same weight since we got her which was about 1.5 years. Which makes me question.. are there possible two types of bassets? I love ALL bassets, don't get me wrong. But, do you notice how basset puppies look similar to how they will look when they are older? Meaning that the bassets that will have a lot more skin, longer ears, sadder eyes, broader chests look a lot more like that when they are a puppy. But bassets that have a tad shorter ears and not as much rolls and such tend to look more beagleish when they are puppies grow up to just have a little "tighter" look about them.

If you go through the photo gallery, you can definitely just notice the difference. I think both are very very cute, but it is just an observation I have made.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Not two types rather some are closer to idea conformation than others. And yes this is noticable to some extent early in puppy development.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We have two bassets one has the more rounder basset looks the other has sharper (tighter) features as you suggest.

Mikey please could you explain a bit further the "idea conformation" since this answer some questions for me why Belle our Basset as tighter features.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Good breeders will try to breed their dogs to the given standard for conformation. AKC, the registering body for dogs in the US,(one,of the registering bodies)has a standard submitted by breed clubs for each breed of dog. For instance, for basset ears the standard says something like ," The bassets ears ,in repose,should look like they are coming off the neck(this is not verbatim). In other words a correct basset ear set, if you are looking at the puppy head on, the ears should not be equal with the eyes but set lower than the eyes as if on the neck. The standard covers every part of the Basset from the head to the tail in a description of what the ideal basset should look like,what colors are allowed and length of haircoat. Even what disqualifications(for the show ring)could allow a Judge to send a dog from the ring. There is no perfect conformationin in any breed but a good breeder tries to get as close as they can by genitics /pedigrees.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Exactly... a good breeder strives to produce a dog as close to the breed standard as possible so therefore that is the difference in "types" of bassets. One from a good breeder is going to look like a basset that fits the standard versus one from another sort of breeder who breeds bassets that look more like beagles.

Here is a link to the AKC standard.
American Kennel Club - Basset Hound

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
One from a good breeder is going to look like a basset that fits the standard versus one from another sort of breeder who breeds bassets that look more like beagles.

When looking a 2 dogs this is a streach, the whole output of breeding program is another story. Even with the best breedings some genetic throwbacks and mismaches etc show up and produce a flyer that looks nothing like its ancestry just as too poor specimens can produce an outstanding one on rare occassion. It is ill advised to comment on a breeding program by the ascesssing a random single dog.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Silly me, I prefer the smaller "tighter" looking basset. Since I've gotten into the field trial type of event, I've seen more of the sleek hunters and I love the look. Would the breeders who are into the hunting aspect make their selections based on hunting/field trial heritage rather than basset "look" conformation? If so, according to some opinions on this forum that would disqualify that breeder from the "good" and "responsible" category because they are not breeding for conformation but rather to create good hunting stock.

By the way, although I prefer a sleek & petite hunter, I love the show look as well, they are all beautiful and when I see them on the TV Show Dog events, I just don't understand why they don't win best in show every time..........just saying cause I've got basset fever!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[QUOTE It is ill advised to comment on a breeding program by the ascesssing a random single dog.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by that? I just brought it up because it was an observation is all. I don't even know basset standards because I don't show them. I was just curious as to the differences.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes you are right to judge a breeding program by one dog is silly and I mis-spoke. And yes I know of some breeders who do breed for more leg and a bit less weight of bone so as to make them better hunters but yet I also know of some who breed for the heavy bone and skin of the show ring and still do tracking and other events with their dogs as well. They can both do the job it's just a matter of every breeder's idea of what they consider their ideal basset and that is what they strive to breed.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
If so, according to some opinions on this forum that would disqualify that breeder from the "good" and "responsible" category because they are not breeding for conformation but rather to create good hunting stock.
Actually, when we say "show" it's generally meant to include hunting trials and tests - the same principle applies, the dogs are being "proven", either in a trial under a judge or out where the rubber hits the road under real hunting conditions. And like show breeders, the field breeders have a goal they are trying to achieve, not simply producing puppies.

However, while I believe that it is necessary for the show breeder to take the breed's purpose into consideration (as well as we can, since most of us are very limited in our ability to access field trials or hunt tests), I also think that it's necessary for field breeders to take correct conformation and type into consideration. To me it's just as wrong for one side to ignore the "total Basset" as for the other.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just don't know anything really when it comes to showing bassets, judging them, the standards, etc. I just fell in love with the breed because of their distinct look. If it were up to me, I'd have bassets my whole life. I did tell my husband he could choose the next dog.. which will most likely be a border collie. Just a tad different from a basset. Okay, a lot different, ha!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wasn't sure I wanted to get back in on this since I gave my opinion earlier,as far as standard is concerned, BUT, I have not taken stock into the idea of "French/English" if my history on the basset as I have read is correct the basset is and always was a French breed.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
There is the English and the French
have not taken stock into the idea of "French/English" if my history on the basset as I have read is correct the basset is and always was a French breed.

History leason. Basset means low set, there are at least many different "basset" breeds ie basset hound, basset artesien normande, basset blue gasscone.,Basset Fauve de Bretagne, PBGV -Petit Basset Giffon Verdeen, GBGV grand basset Giffon berdeen, etc.

So for the sake of discussion on a Basset hound board when some asks the question are there two types of bassets the mean specifical the breed "basset hounds" rathe than a more generic number of dwarf bred sight hunting hounds. for which of course there are many types.

as for the History of the Basset hound it is an English Breed as defined by the FCI the world largest Pedigree/breed registration service. The breed was devloped and first shown in england but the foundation stock for the breed was imported from France. These foundation stock were from lines that went on to form some of the other basset breed most notably the basset artesian normand, and basset blue gascone. So as anything if you go far back enough there is some common ancestory between the basset breeds but they are in the end distinct breed now.

The Early History of the Basset Hound in England, 1874-1921
Breeders of basset hounds are often asked the question: "Do you breed English or French bassets?" The answer the puppy buyer often receives is: "There is no such thing as a French basset." Of course, this is not quite true. In fact, there are many different kinds of French bassets, but they are not officially recognized by The American Kennel Club and therefore are very rare in this country.
Among the many French bassets (the word basset in French simply means low-slung) there are two which concern us here most: the Basset Artésien Normand, the direct ancestor of our own basset hound, and the Basset Bleu de Gascogne, which was most likely interbred with the Basset Artésien Normand before its arrival in England in 1866.

How did the Basset Artésien Normand get into England and what happened to it in subsequent years? This is the topic of this piece.

So the idea of a french vs english basset hound is false. Actual if you will find the french and or english term when applied to a basset hound is alway done as a mean of explaining why the dog is not conformational correct. That is the term french and english when applied to basset hounds actual convey the same meaning an excuse by the breed why there stock and offspring are not conformationally correct.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
"French", "English" and even "field" or "hunting" (unless the breeder/dogs in question actually do hunting or field trials), are simply terms used by unknowledgable or unscrupulous breeders to explain why their dogs do not look like a Basset should.

·
Registered
973 Posts
My Anabelle is definitely not the beagle type. If you're looking for an example of a droopy and short basset she is the shortest, roundest, and droppiest dog I have ever seen.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts