Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a pair of bassets, brother & sister 1 1/2 years old. They are just adorable and all, but are chewers. When can we reasonably expect this to slow down. They seem to love outside vegetation of all kinds (we do watch them closely on this), furniture and whatever they can reach off tables and counters. They especially like to chew on each other, never hurting each other but she is the more aggresive and will chase him all around. I thought basset's were suppose to be laid back. Someone needs to tell her she is not a jack russell.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Our two sister Bassets chase each other around a lot as well and enjoy a bit of rough and tumble. One of them is slightly more dominant than the other, which is probably quite normal, but not in an aggressive way, just that she often instigates a play/chase session and when they are doing what looks like 'play fighting' the bossier one, Lottie, is always on the top of Lucie. I think a pair of Bassets have so much more fun than a single Basset and even more so than when people play with them and having two pups together has been the best thing we have ever done. Normally we have had two or three of different ages and then got a new pup or an older rehome, but this time we decided on twins and they are just a delight to have around!

·
Registered
186 Posts
man, i thought i was the only one with a hyper little basset. toby will destroy anything he can get his paws on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They really are cute together. They sleep in separate crates right next to each other and every morning greet each other like they were apart for ages. He follows her all around and looks for her say so in most things, very funny. She is the energy hound and very vocal.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Ours has her laid back moments, but she is a firecracker. We've been trying to find her a buddy who can keep up with her as so far she's wearing out all our little dogs. My fiance does the best job, he gets down and wrestles with her. For this he has earned her big velvety eyed devotion. He calls her his "BBB", Big Beautiful Basset :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
she is the more aggresive and will chase him all around
The is the normal state of affairs in mixed sex basset household, the alpha male is a more myth than reality, females tend to be more controling and in charge,

I thought basset's were suppose to be laid back
Be careful of stereotypes, IMHO there are very few laid back basset bitches, they are all quite demanding in their own individual way,

Chewing especial distructive chewing at 1 1/2 may be a sign of not enough phisical and mental stimulation. Look into games such as tug of war and fetch that are high energy burners for the dogs but low for humans. Walking at a human paces is not really exercise for most dogs. Look to increase mental stimulation with interactive games, having to hunt for food/meals. Scent games in which they get to use their nose etc.

scent games

tug of War

Dog owners have been admonished for decades to never play tug of war with their dogs because of the risk of it increasing aggression and/or dominance in the dog. Even many dog resource people such as breeders, trainers and veterinarians caution against this game. This is partly a failure to discriminate between agonistic behavior (conflict resolution & defensive aggression) and predatory behavior. Also, many people have issues about witnessing intensity. Intensity is not aggression, however.​
Played with rules, tug-of-war is a tremendous predatory energy burner and good exercise for both dog and owner. It serves as a barometer of the kind of control you have over the dog, most importantly over his jaws. The game doesn't make the dog a predator: he already is one. The game is an outlet. It’s intense, increases dog focus and confidence and plugs into something very deep inside them. The big payoff is in lowered incidence of behavior problems due to understimulation

Kong Stuffing Pointers​

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tug of war worked out great for us with Lucy. Only problem, we used the wrong object for tugging. Old athletic tubs socks. This made her a life long sock thief!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts