Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a foster dog (Boxer mix) that we took on when our former renters abandoned her. She will be going to a "professional" no-kill humane society as soon as they have an opening. She is far too energetic and dominant for our situation.

That will leave our 1 1/2 year old male neutered Basset as the lone dog, and we really want to get him a buddy. We obviously want another Basset. We have located a local breeder with all male pups, and we were wondering if the two male bassets will get along or if we need to wait for a female puppy. No interest in breeding at this time, so all animals are spayed or neutered when they are old enough.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Both of my childhood dogs were males and they got along great. I think it all depends on the personalities of the dogs. I know on here there are girl-girl, boy-boy, and girl-boy households who all seem to do great.

~Heather

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
General speaking most same-sex related antagonisism that occurs between dogs occurs between intacked dogs. In nueter males - male relationships I have not noticed any more more or less problems than different sex pairs. In basset it might be even a little less between males as females tend to be bossy around males of the species.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts