Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, we are officially discontinuing rawhides and twisted beef or pork hide sticks, and pig ears at our house. Saturday morning Elmer went out to the deck and threw up what looked like a wet, crumpled brown paper bag. Upon closer inspection (I spread it out with the p--p scoop) it was one of those twisted hide sticks he had eaten the night before. He must have swallowed it whole! Gross! It was still whole, like a sheet of paper, not even disintegrated at all! :huh: When I think of the blockage that could have caused, or him choking to death trying to throw it up, I felt sick. :( It was only a small one, about as long as a pencil, but you would not believe how large that thing unfurled. Very dangerous to digestive tract. Once when he was a puppy (when I was stupider) I gave him a small rawhide bone. I heard this whistling sound from the living room. I went in pulled what seemed like 9" of soft rawhide from way down his throat. He was choking on it. That is why I was only giving them the skinny sticks, but now we are off that stuff for good! They do love the cow hooves from Southern States, and when they do chew them down, they chip off into little pieces of keratin, which I assume is safe?!? Has anyone heard anything bad about hooves? :blink:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Something else you want to watch out for are those greenies.
They break off in huge chunks and dogs die from them.

Scary as hell to think a "treat" they even sell at my vet can kill your pet. :(

·
Registered
608 Posts
Got to admit, that I give Toby the odd rawhide now, but only the really big ones, and I take it away as soon as it gets small. I was told by a previous vet, never to give them rawhide, but my present vet said to give him a large one to chew on for his teeth, as I was giving him bones and she said they were dangerous. Confusing :blink:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I guess the big ones are not as dangerous, but my boys will eat them until they are GONE. No holding off eating some of it tomorrow, or anything like that. If they get them, they will eat on them all night until they eat the whole thing. Button will even lay flat, holding it up between his paws and pull off little chunks with his teeth. :blink: So I was sticking with the small ones to eliminate them getting so much at one time. It really is gross when you think of it though, dried up, salty skin from a cow from who knows where. I guess some of the cheap ones could even come from cows from countries that don't keep a close eye on disease control regs. :eek: I think we are just going to stop with them altogether. Elmer is eating much better now that he's not killing his appetite chewing on something all the time. Cappy still has a big one at the office, and when it's gone, it's gone. But he eats his politely--a bit at a time.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't give mine rawhides but I do give them bones as long as they're real bones and from beef or pork. I bought a couple of seriously big hard bones from Wal-Mart's pet department over the weekend and they haven't managed to even make a dent in either of them yet, but it sure keeps them occupied.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Speaking of rawhide Lea tries to hide hers. I guess she's not hungry but it's so funny to watch, she'll place it in one corner of the room.... go check up on it several times, decides it's not a good enough hiding place and starts all over hehehe

My Lea isn't a glutton strangely enough except for pizza and pork. Once she swiped it right out of my plate, now you see it, now you don't ACK!

Lou

·
Registered
187 Posts
The rawhid scares me, I have heard too many bad stories of choking and blockages.

Roxy's favorites so far are the "lotta- Chews", "Booda Velvet Bimples Dog Chews" or I buy her the real bones and after she is done chewing off all the meaty taste, some times I fill it up with peanut butter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I no longer give any of those products to my basset hounds. I've seen too many posts and warnings about the origins of them in relation to health risks and I've had too many problems with them trying to eat them.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
A friend's golden required surgery to remove an obstruction due to one of those "velvet" treats. I don't give rawhides, pigs ears, chew hooves, Greenies, or those velvet treats. Occasionally, I'll pass around soup bones, but with multiple dogs, those are often more trouble than they're worth.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've recently found something WONDERFUL at Walmart, that is replacing all rawhides in our house. They are little dog biscuit shaped bits of chipped rawhide called "Senior Chews" or something like that. I threw away but bag but it's yellow.

The company is called Harpers and there are two different kinds ...one is specifically for senior dogs. It says it clearly on the front of the bag, in large letters. The other one just says "CRUNCHY" Rawhide and they are chicken flavored round nuggets. Again, it appears that they are tiny chipped up bits mashed together to form easy to break round chews.

I can hear them crunching these things and they make pretty fast work of them. Dixie is older so she gets the senior chews ....and Belly is 4 so he gets the ones that he can work on for a few minutes. They LOVE these things and we get the dental benefits from the chewing, without the danger of the rawhide blockage, etc.

Worth a try! It usually buys us a few minutes of quiet television a few times a week!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Merrick sells a product called flossies - thin beef tendon in a spiral form. My dogs get only these and bully sticks.....these seem to be the only natural chewies they can't break chunks off of and swallow. No rawhide or hooves here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I find the bully sticks to be kind of stinky, but in the long run it doesn't really matter. Twinkie will evenutally take everything outside and bury it in the flower garden. Just recently I know there's a pig ear, a lamb shank and a Wellness fish and sweet potato biscuit. Goodness only knows what else. She used to like to chew stuff when we first got her. Now she just wants to hide her chewies.

Janet 'n Twinkie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts