Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I noticed that Tucker was limping on his front left paw. He only limped that day, but now that paw is turned outward. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and runs and plays like nothing is wrong. Has anyone ever seen anything like this or know what the problem could be? I have a vet appointment tomorrow, but the waiting is getting hard.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Both of my boys have crooked front legs. Leroy is fiddle-front (I think that's the term) and Cooter's front left is turned out. Checking with your vet is something you should do. But, as long as Tucker is not in pain, I would hope that all's well. Best of luck! We'll be hoping that's all's A-OK with Tucker.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember his foot be as far turned as it is now, but I'm not really certain. After he was limping, I guess I started to pay more attention to his foot than before. Since he's not in any pain, I wonder if I really need to take him to the vet. Maybe I'm being an overprotective mom. :confused:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
There's nothing wrong with being overprotective of your babies! If you have concern, see the vet, or at least call and speak with someone. You're just being a good mom!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If his foot is turning outward, please consider taking him to see an orthopedic vet - one whohas had some experience wiht bassets. It could - and i say *could*, mostly because I find it hard to belive that a basset fed a high-quality food could have rickets - be something more serious, like ununited ancoineal process. This is when one of the two bones in the lower forleg stops growing too soon. This causes the other bone to curve inward, bowing the leg, displacing the joint, and often causing the foot to turn outward. It can be very painful for the dog, and is sometimes seen in bassets. It most commonly first appears between 12-24 weeks of age, but can occur later.

Other clinical signs, besides the outward-turned foot, including limping or lameness, esp. lameness that is worse after activity, then better after resting.

Some more information:

http://www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycE...ION=1&MODE=full

http://www.connollyac.com/encycEntry.cfm?E...lness&MODE=full

1 - 6 of 6 Posts