Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed Jackie's food to Purina Pro Plan Selects Turkey for Puppies because her old food was giving her the runs. I started the new food on Friday and since then she has been one sleepy dog. She will sleep for about three hours straight and then wake for an hour and go back for another three hours. She used to only takes one *good* nap a day before this food so I am wondering if the turkey is making her sleepy. I remember reading somewhere that Turkey has a chemical in it that makes you sleepy. Has anyone else experienced this with turkey based dog food?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Contact Purina and tell them your story. Ask them if they know anything about the amount of Tryptophan in their dog food.

·
Registered
360 Posts
We switch off from a turkey based food to a chicken based dog food, to give them some variety. My husband always says that there's a difference ...that they sleep more when they are eating the turkey. Hopefully this isn't a bad thing. I'll be interested to know what Purina says. (That's not our brand but I just wonder what the content levels are)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It's trypophan! You know how you nap after eating Thanksgiving dinner?

Our diet is mostly fish and lean poultry based and Ruby always get a little bit of what we eat. Over the years we've noticed that Ruby shouldn't be given too much turkey, not because of it making her sleep, but because it gives her GAS! :lol: :blink: :lol:

In our other houses, which had very large kitchens, Ruby had been known to lay right in front of the oven when turkey is cooking. This kitchen is too small so this year, she had better not try that or we'll be tripping on her.

tee hee

·
Registered
72 Posts
I thought turkey was bad for dogs. My sister's chihuahua almost died after eating Christmas turkey. After several weeks he became very lethargic and his abdomen was full of fluid. The vet said he wouldn't last the weekend, but after fluids and antibiotics he somehow pulled through. The vet said he probably got sick from the turkey.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
It was likely the fat associated with turkey skin that made the chihuahua so ill--holidays are the classic time for dogs to overindulge in fatty foods and then to develop pancreatitis. Turkey itself (not turkey skin with fat) isn't harmful, unless the dog has developed a food allergy to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Boy, if that's true, I will have to switch Homer!! I would love it if he slept more and was not so hyper! I presently feed him a dry food that says it's fresh, never frozen, chicken and rice. I buy the lite variety and all 3 dogs eat it and like it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've heard that all poultry has trypophan... chicken has as much as turkey. I think turkey gets a bad rap because we stuff ourselves with it on Thanksgiving, then wonder why we are tired and can't move! :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts