Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very concerned since my 4 1/2 year old was diagnosed with a tumor in his ear. The vet will be removing on Tuesday. I'm scared that it will be cancerous can anybody share similar experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No thanks for your response. Crosby has since had it removed - guess it was fatty tumor. Not cancerous!!! Yay!!! I’m afraid he’ll get another tho - is this common for bassets and is there anything we can do to prevent them from growing back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Fatty tumors ie lipomas and cysts are common in the breed. Appear to be somewhat genetic. Currently there is no known cure or preventive measure. Most of the time they do not bother the dog. You can have a fine needle biopsy to determine if a lump is cancerous without having to surgically remove the lump and avoid the risks that entails.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
is this common for bassets and is there anything we can do to prevent them from growing back?
I wish!! Over the years, bearing in mind all our home-breds came from the same foundation stock, although most of our breeding was to outside, none-directly related stud dogs, we've had some who'd produce these and more who didn't. We had a brother and sister who we kept, she was covered with them, he had not one! We learnt to leave well alone unless they grew significantly, in a 'difficult place'. So inherited ??

Our current boy has many too, a couple of have recently let go, meaning a course of antibiotics.

I have absolutely no idea why these happen with some and not with others although one vet we used in the past suggested this was down to some being more 'oily' than others.

Fact is as long as they aren't nasties, it's best to leave alone, much as sometimes they don't look 'pretty'!!

ps My home-breds, one into adulthood, were all fed the same maintenance diet. My current hound is on a fish and potato diet (after coming to us early days with Giardia. Maybe the 'fish' content has caused this problem in him?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts