Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Tummy to take test #2 today. came back negative this time. Told Vet I would like Tummy to be retested next week. She said U want two out of three? that's fine. My husband said what about his shivering at nite? She thought heis an anxious dog and suggested anti depressants. Tummy is afraid of sudden loud noises,but; like i replied to Wendy he has been to maybe 12 or 13 Basset rescue waddles. for the last 4 yrs. last year (michigan's.Ohio's. Guardian angels, and ours in wisc. Basset Buddies Rescue waddle & picnic. My vet and the whole clinic Drs. treat the rescues from BBR. The sudden peeing in house- she said he doesnt have a UTI. He's been on a diet for a LONG TIME-no weight loss. She tested for thyroid problems. came back negative. I think we will retest and then try to get an appoint. as soon as they can @ Madison University vet. clinic. Sorry so long. Thought maybe I could inform U of other problems. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy. :(

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yea for the second test! :)

What kind of food are you giving him? And how much exercise is he getting?

Shivering is commonly a sign of pain. My Yogi, though, has fear aggression and has very bad problems with noise. Noise will set him shivering like no one's business.

Is there any kind of noise or something else which might be setting off the shivering?

I have NO idea if this is pertinent, but I get shaky when my blood sugar drops too low. Blood sugar does strange things at night, keep in mind, and I've found I have to have a snack around 10-11 pm, something with protein and fat, like nuts or a piece of cheese.

Maybe try giving him a high protein - high fat snack about 8-9 pm, and see if that makes a difference?

Wish I could be more help. Please keep keeeping us posted.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Tummy Boy has been on Wellness super max. (vitamins)for about a year? he gets 2 cups of dry in am and almost i/2 cup of it mixed with 1 can (unsalted) green beans, one tab. plain yogurt, and one tab. of pumkin. We have been diligent in giving him one or 2 max. of the teeny tiny bisquits per day, (like vet gives out). ut he does get to stay out maybe15 min. per day. Plus potty trips. Every other day the neighbors 2 dogs run up and down fence line for 5 or 10 minutes. but he still weighed 8o lbs at vet today. What Do U think about fd. and exer.? Thanks for questions and advice. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy. :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S> somehow this didnt show up in the avove post. Weather permitting (in Wisc.) winter maybe 2 times per wk. and summer more walks plus waddles.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Are you feeding him only in the morning? If so, try feeding him in the morning AND evening, and see what happens.

Also, use regular yogurt (not low fat) and add a touch of good fat to the evening meal --- like a teaspoon of olive oil or grapeseed oil. NO BACON FAT! :D

And I think he needs more exercise. Do you garden or anything by chance? My guys get a lot of their exercise just hanging around with me in the yard while I'm digging around and stuff. They chase around, jump, etc.

It's good he's getting the veggies. Best thing for him!

[ March 31, 2006, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: biscuit ]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm so glad you had him retested. The vet. clinic at UW Madison is a great idea--I hope they can help you with a good diet for him, and get the problem taken care of. Don't apologize for the length of your post--it wasn't that long. Shivering in dogs is really puzzing--Pearl will do it if I take her tracking, and at the start of the track tell her to 'get it', and restrain her. Bella, on the other hand is your more traditional shiverer--at the vets, at the groomers ('til I'm out of sight)...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Glad the news was at least partially good. My 4 are drooling extra- Wendy

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It's great that you're close to the University vet clinic-I know of several cases where the local vets couldn't figure out what was going on and the U.Penn vet school came up with answers. Good luck with everything,you and TummyBoy( :) ) are in my thoughts.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad that second test was negative. Hope you find an answer soon. yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Busquit. Tummy gets two meals a day. Dry kibble in a.m. and the p.m. meal is the mixture I mentioned.Its plain regular yogurt. I take him out in summer when ground is thawed, (LOL). IT ISN'T. He goes out twice a week while I pick up doo-doos and dead branches etc. But if it too cold I don't because I have asthma. I wish spring would come soon (not the fake one) :)he would get out more. Vacation a month ago he walked all over Hilton Head. Came back. AtVet he weighed the same.Thanks so much and Tummy does too.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank U every one for all the good ideas. I will let U now wen he has 3rd. bloodtest next week. LaVonna and Tummy boy. :) :) :)

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oh, good! I misread your post and thought he was eating only once a day.

It's a hazard of reading after dinner for me. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to worry. :D .I do stuff like that all day- every day. Tummy is the smart one in this family. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts