Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:blink: Poor Bogie had a "tuff" morning at the vets. :blink: He had his teeth cleaned, anal glands expressed :huh: , blood drawn for hearthworm test, and a BB sized lump checked. Thankfully he was pronounced fit and healthy, all tests came back AOK, and he now has pearly white teeth.
The vet was super pleased that he has lost from 58 pounds to 52 &1/2 pounds since October, and said he looks great. So the INNOVA Diet Kibble is working. Right now he is passed out sleeping off the effects of his drug induced snooze while they cleaned his teeth. Poor guy whined and snoozed and whined and snoozed all the way home from the vets. Our trip to the vet is a 40 mile jaunt one way. I know he's glad this day is over!! :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
Is the 1st teeth cleaning he's had?, Daisy has had her's done and to be honest although they looked great for a while they aren't so great now.
Both Daisy & Harvey have smelly breath and their teeth are ok, but the big back ones aren't good.
They have raw-hide to chew on, Denta-rasks, denta-sticks - you name it we've tried it. The trouble is they are in to much of a rush to chew them like the packet describes dogs do (they've obviously never met a Basset;)) they chomp them down with little or no chewing going on!. i'm not even sure their teeth know they've had them!. They even have dried food so in theory that should help. I used to clean their teeth, but even that didn't do a great deal.
I think it may be something we have to look at doing in the near future for both of them.

Hope he's feeling ok now

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hdhound123: Yes, it was Bogie's first teeth cleaning by a vet. He will be three in April. We do brush his teeth two to three times a week which has helped, and he does not have smelly breath as a result. The vet recommened the teeth cleaning because he was collecting some tartar on his very back molars. Just like humans collect tartar with twice daily brushing, dogs will collect tartar even with brushing. He also has bully sticks and rawhide chews,but he takes them by spells of chewing and then goes weeks without looking at them.

Our vet has also recommened "OraVet" which is an anti-plaque gel substance that acts as a protective sealant. The vet applied the first application after his teeth cleaning while he was still asleep, and we start this week with weekly applications of the gel that we will do here at home.
Bogie is feeling great now. Thanks for asking!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
That sounds like a useful product. I will ask our Vet about it. I think we have got to look at getting both our dogs teeth cleaned properly, smelly breath is not good for us or them

Thanks

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Our vet has also recommened "OraVet" which is an anti-plaque gel substance that acts as a protective sealant. The vet applied the first application after his teeth cleaning while he was still asleep, and we start this week with weekly applications of the gel that we will do here at home.

I'd be interested in Oravet too. I've been using chews and a rinse recommended by the vet that are supposed to keep teeth clean. I've tried brushing, but I can' believe I'm doing much good.
[/quote]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.