Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing quite a bit of research into changing Tulip's diet in hopes that we might influence the frequency/duration of seizures.

I have visited links provided by individuals here as well as scouring other information I have found online and in other books.

All this to say, I am OVERWHELMED. One book or website will say on thing, and another book or website will discount it. Truly frustrating.

The diet listed on the Epilepsy site provided to me when I first posted was helpful, but I'm trying to find something I can feed both dogs, not just our basset, and Owen has a lot of allergies. Argh...

Anyway, I am hoping maybe you all can post some recipes you use or have used that were good for your dogs and I can try to tweak out allergens and add the items that seem to keep popping up as necessary in what I am reading.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have just signed up for this forum so I'm not sure how this works.Also I hope this is ok with the people that run this forum.But I see no one has posted to you so I thought I would maybe send you where you can hopefully get some help.I have real bad ears on my dog and I am getting some good advice from a forum called dogfoodchat.com/forum/ I don't know how to put it in here so you can click right on it.But there are some vet tecs that are very helpful.They have things on home cooked dry or canned also raw which I am trying.They really seem to be very helpful.Hope to see you there.And I apologies if I have over stepped but I thought since no one was helping I would try.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you for the info on dogfoodchat.com/forum, I wasn't even thinking about doing a home cooked diet until I visited their site! My boys are going to love me even more than they already do!

I love to cook and am very into nutrition - I even made my own baby food when my son was little, I can't believe I didn't think of doing this sooner!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Your very welcome.I to sometimes cook for mine and make home made treats.I like them to be very happy when it is time to eat.How ever I have had to take my Basset off of all carbs to see if this will help with her ears.So I haven't made any treats for awhile.I miss it ,I have some very cute little cookie cutters.
And I will see you there these people are very helpful and friendly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you tried phenophav. It worked for my bassets epileptic seizures and she ceased having any more seizures once we commenced this daily medication

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Not all foods are best for all dogs.I have seen a holistic vet prescribe a"natural"or"raw" diet for a dog with vertbrae problems and she was much better in a very short time, before the diet change she wobbled around, after ,she was chasing Esa, with very little, to no off kilter walk.I would consault a holistic vet even for a homemade diet because there is so much you can miss in vitamins, throwing something together yourself could harm the dog. It would be far from cheap to see a holistic vet but the allergy issue as well as the seizure issue could be addressed.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
which is better in general, raw food or dog food?
There is no "IN GENERAL" when it comes to nutrition. On must evaluate the specifics as with any diet there are trade off. How those tradeoff effect an individual dog and how a particular diet mitigates the risks is all important in making an evaluation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feed both my dogs prey model raw.

It is a lot of work to do the research to start, but gets much easier.

It is also great for allergies as you are able to tell exactly what is going into your dog instead of having to read a huge dog food bag label.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
which is better in general, raw food or dog food?
This to me is the million dollar question.But you forgot Home cooked,so there are really three different kinds.Then different kinds in the three category's.Very complicated.There are people that feel only one is best then are those that don't care a hoot what there dogs eat.I as usual fall somewhere in the middle.I think do some research as I feel that is important, then make up your own mind.I'm not sure if you have not got a special problem that it will make that much difference, but I say that and the one thing I think is very important is at the very least you should use a quality dry food.And this may make some mad but I don't believe that what most vets sell is good quality.

I can understand why one wouldn't want to feed raw or go to all the work to home cook as it is all very time consuming.At least till you get use to it.I'm still not sure what I'm going to do for my big dogs as I am on good dry with ether some canned or home cooked.I'm going to try some of the crock pot recipes I do believe.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I feed both my dogs prey model raw.

It is a lot of work to do the research to start, but gets much easier.

It is also great for allergies as you are able to tell exactly what is going into your dog instead of having to read a huge dog food bag label.
That's what my Basset is on, I've been on it for 2 months.Her teeth are getting much better but am told it may take awhile as they were not good.She still needs to lose some weight but is on Prednisone for her ears and she's so hungry all the time and till she's off this I'm not going to cut her back.When did you start?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts