Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elvis scared me to death today. He was fine all morning, playing with me and the kids, running crazy around the house chasing R.C. trucks. We left the house, with him, to get my sister and her dog and go to the dog park. Elvis was in the back seat with his front paws on the center console of the front seat looking around when my husband had to brake real hard. He slid off the back seat, but we didnt see him hit anything. About 2 minutes later he started going limp and throwing up bile. We pulled over into a gas station parking lot immediately to get him out of the car and try to give him some water. He just laid on the ground, not like Elvis. We were halfway to my sisters, so we went ahead. WHen we got there I noticed first that he had no energy, just laying on the ground right by the car, he wouldnt drink water, and his gums were turning white. We left my kids at my sisters and sped to the emergency vet clinic. They said he was in shock and may have ruptured his diaphram when he hit the console. They did x-rays and found that he had only bruised the lining outside his lungs. Of course, they also found a heart murmur during the checkup, and that he has hip displasia in both hips from the x-rays. I was so scared all the way and was shaking so bad when we got there I could hardly fill out the forms. I was so glad he was ok, and will be buying a seat restraint for him first thing tomorrow. I dont care how much he whines, better that than the alternative.... :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mom give Elvis a BIG hug... I lost my Dubya today and I miss him so badly. I am glad that he is doing better and I pray that your baby gets back to normal very soon...

·
Registered
12,938 Posts
"and will be buying a seat restraint for him first thing tomorrow. I dont care how much he whines, better that than the alternative...."

Often a better altenative to the harness seatbelt contraptions is a crate large enough for the dog but fits in the back seat. It can be further restrained by the seat belt. It has two function rather than on it is a crate that can be used in the house and a restraint in the car. Secondly if the dog is comfortable in is crate he is less likely to whine and moan about being restrained in it during a car ride but it is no guarantee just ask Toughy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to do a crate in the car, but I have 2 human kids that have to fit back there, so a harness will have to do.

A

·
0 Posts
Wow, that should be a lesson to us all. I am so glad he is on the mend. Please give him hugs and cuddles from us. I am the WORST at letting them ride unrestrained with me. yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up and so glad to hear Elvis is ok but what a shock the poor guy must have had.

Annie always stands on the console between us for about the first block or two and then lies down on the back seat but no more standing there now.

Take care of Elvis and let us know how he is doing.

Kathy

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Our harness belt allows Jake to move around a bit in the seat...He thinks I'm mean- but I'm scared of the alternative!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Wow that was scary! Glad everything turned out okay.

I've used the harness but a crate is better if you have the room. There are numerous advantages to a crate, like being able to open windows in the summer without worrying the dogs are going to jump out.

Make sure you test the harness and see how he is when left in the car. I ran in the house once with one of my dogs in the harness and she almost strangled herself.

[ January 16, 2006, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
76 Posts
How scary! I'm so glad that Elvis wasn't badly hurt! Poor baby must have been scared to death!

B

·
0 Posts
I bought a seatbelt as soon as I bought Byron home. He comes everwhere with us. We strap him in a he lays calmly in the backseat. I can't think of taking a trip with him I he doesn't have his restraint.

A

·
0 Posts
We are so glad that Elvis will be OK. We always traveled with Bubba in his harness, seat belted in and have started Bogie doing the same. His first car trip was to vet's for his check up, and he did OK. When we brought him home we were in the RV and had him crated.

[ January 17, 2006, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: BubbaLeroy ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts