Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tricks can your hounds do? Share your tricks.

Here are some of Droopy's tricks.

HTML:
[MEDIA=youtube]wFullScreen[/MEDIA]

·
Registered
608 Posts
What tricks can your hound do?

Toby can 'pester the living daylights' out of me if I am eating something that he wants.

He can wreck the house i.e. knock things over, pull everything off the coffee table, pull covers off the couch if his dinner is 5minutes late being served.

He can go to the door and whine as if he needs out to toilet only to run back and take my seat as I get up to open said door.

He can turn 'stone deaf' at the drop of a hat. I could go on forever............

Droopy is one clever little hound. I loved his roll over. I can't imagine mine ever doing anything like that. A question. If there was no food involved do you think Droopy would still obey your commands? Brilliant video BTW

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
His tricks are so cute...love the 'play dead' one!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Bowser can turn around, shake, and...only if there's food...sit! I've been trying to teach him to hold a treat on his nose, but he is just like "mama, what are you doing, that is not where that goes" *lol*

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gwenny can sit, lay down,sit-stay, dance, rollover, off and paw. I put food on the floor and make her wait until I tell her "go". Thats about it, pretty basic. Droopy is gorgeous and looks adorable doing tricks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If there was no food involved do you think Droopy would still obey your commands?
He is on a variable schedule of reinforcement. I did reward him heavily in the video, but I do not keep food in my hands. Food is in a bait bag or in my pocket or on the counter or somewhere else. He normally just gets rewarded for the best or quickest response to a cue. When he is in an obedience trial he has to work consistently for about 10 minutes without any food being present anywhere in the ring.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ella can sit, stay, shake, lay, and rollover and then we kind of have a play dead but she doesn't always do it. We put our hand as a gun and make a gun noise and she'll lay down but a lot of the time she ends of rolling over too lol! She is also on a tie out outside and it will get wrapped around the tree and if I say 'Go Around' she will go around the tree to get unwrapped...but that only works if she goes the right way around tree! :D

Ringo knows sit, stay, shake, and speak.

Neither of them will do anything without treats or if the leash is out they will so they can go on a walk.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Too funny! Doppler can sit, lay down, shake, high five, roll over, circle, wait, and give kisses when I ask him for one. I'm working with him on waving. Instead of waving he tries to high five or shake. It's pretty funny. Virga, since she's only 16 weeks, hasn't learned too much. She waits for her food and gets down off the door of her kennel or the baby gate when we tell her to. She can also potty on command! That's funny. We have to be careful where we say it. Training has been interrupted for a family emergency but when we get back home it'll start up hard and heavy again. I would like to teach the dogs to "sit pretty" where they're flat on their butt with their front legs up. But my husband says it's bad for their backs. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I agree with your husband on the 'sit pretty'. Of all my bassets, I've only had one that offered that behavior, and I think it's cute, but I never reinforce it with treats. Could be just fine, for all I know, but it *looks* like a bad thing for that long back..so many tricks they can learn--I think I'd move on to another one.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok! That's what I was leaning to anyway. Virga would probably do it because she's smaller but I won't encourage it. In face we've been discouraging it because of their backs. So Doppler will move on to learning how to wave hi and bye! And Virga has to learn the basics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts