Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
I ask mine to do anything without treats present and they look at me like I have three heads.....
besides what is mention sometime for particular dogs the oposite is a problem the presence of food becomes to big of a distraction for the dogs to work hense the need to train impulse control

other things to consider beside how a lure is faded is that dogs are great discriminator and poor generalizers. So say if the only time they can expect a treat is withen thee minutes of you going the fridge or cupboard to get one they learn only to work in that time frame.

You may find also some other context variations on this theme. If for instance you trained a behavior with food in the kitchen, It is entirely possible that you need to retrain to get the same behavior in say the living room. Or if you always train the behavior at 5: pm geting the behavior at 5:am could be dificult as well, Do not overlook other contexts that might be different as well as the presence or absents of food.

Also keep in mind when lure training as mention that the cue most often in the dogs mind is not verbal but the physical gesture you make with the hands. That is if the dog using a lure is taught to sit by bring a treat from the nose to behind the head which when the dog tries to follow requires them to lower the rump. Simply asking them to sit has know meaning. However the hand gesture does. This is one of the draw backs to lure training in that if you do not want the cue for the behavior to be the same as the lure motion then as much or more time spent on training the behavior has to be spent on retraining a new cue for the behavior,

How to Add the Cue

Luring

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Snickers just learned "shake" last night and is starting to "touch".

Shake was so cute! She initially would use 1 leg and then the other. After a few tries she kicked up her right leg and I gave her a handful of treats and lots of praise. I said "shake" again and up went her right leg as high as she could get it! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mocha was good with 'sit', 'stay', 'down', etc - mostly the basics, she'd also wait for treats til she was told 'ok' then she'd take them gently ...

Beldin is good with 'sit' ... other than that he's decided that:

- "melt in front of the wood stove"
- "sleep til you're hungry"
- "eat til you're sleepy"

all make sufficiently good tricks. :)

ps - Farmer at almost 6 months old is more willing to "perform" a variety of tricks than Beldin ever was :) but Beldin is still momma's boy :)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.