Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! After many years of wanting a basset, our family has finally decided the time is right and we have just adopted a beautiful little girl who will be coming home next week. While we were busy puppy-proofing our home, an interesting question came up that I cannot seem to find the answer to. I am hoping that someone who has experience with bassets may be able to help. She is a tri-color, and we were discussing what she may look like as an adult. Do their markings/ coloring change as they get older? I think she will eventually look just like her Dad, losing some of her mostly black body to tan and the white portion spreading. Does this generally change or will her current markings just get bigger as she grows? One of the reasons I ask is that her ears are mostly black on the outside, but are tipped with brown, however underneath they are all brown. I realize alot is left to genetics, and no one can be certain, but I thought someone here may have encountered this before. She is currently 7 weeks old. Thanks so much, your forum has been helpful and I'm sure will provide many answers for us in the future.

·
Registered
773 Posts
In all likelihood, her coloring will change a bit. The inside of the ears are usually an indicator of the direction the coloring will take.......

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This is a picture of Bubba, now at the Rainbow Bridge, as a ten week old puppy.

This is a picture of Bubba as a six year old. He did aquire more ticking (spots) as he got older.

We don't have any early puppy pictures of Bogie. We got him at nine months of age. Our first picture
of Bogie

Bogie at 10 months.

Bogie at 2&1/2 years. His ears have gotten browner, but the darker areas have gotten darker and
he also has more ticking. His white areas have also gotten more distinct.

You'll have fun watching her change and grow, that's for sure. Welcome to the "World of being owned by a Basset"!!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Melody as a puppy:

Melody now:

Smudge as a puppy:

Smudge now:

Sailor as a puppy:

Sailor now:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Miriam, that's amazing how much your dogs' coats have changed over the years. Lightning is a tri, and his coat has stayed exactly the same, except the beautiful mahogany color of his muzzle started "roaning out" (I refuse to say graying out) when he was only about 5 or 6 years old. Stomps' coat has stayed the same too, but I didn't get him until he was about 5, so I have no idea what he looked like as a puppy. :(

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Wow that is amazing seeing the transformation that can occur. :blink: I just figured on some graying...

~Heather

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dozer changed the most. A lot of his black turned to brown and he lost his white stripe on his head. Digger had a little color change on the face and rear.

Dozer at 4 weeks:

Dozer at 7 weeks:

Dozer now:

Digger at 4 months:

Digger now:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much-you all have such beautiful dogs! We plan on taking lots of pictures so we can go back and watch her grow up. I was amazed at how much some of them changed!

·
Registered
12,903 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts