Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Husband and I are planning a 10 day Southwest road trip. We are considering taking Olive along. I have been checking out which National parks are dog friendly, hotels, etc.

Do any of you have sage words of advice that will help/dissuade us from traveling with our hound?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish I could take my dog on car rides with me, he always tends to get car sick though. Have any ideas on how to help my dog from getting car sick?

Good luck taking yours with you!!:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We have a Mazda 3, but I should note that Olive is smaller for a Basset, about 40lbs. The back seat is all hers and we use a back seat hammock.

Backseat Hammock - Car & Travel Accessories from SmartPak Canine

She has gone 6 hours in the car just fine. The first and last day of the trip are going to be long, about 12 hours of driving. We should only be driving around four hours any other day based on our plans , plus lots of hiking in between drives.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You can give a dog the same medication you do a human for car sickness, Dramamine I think it's called. I would ask your vet. Don't know if it'd be okay for long trips though. I believe there are websites out there with listings of dog-friendly places. If you are traveling through Dallas I can recommend some resources.

·
Registered
761 Posts
www.wagworld.com is a good website for finding dog friendly hotels, restaurants, and places to play.

Doppler also gets carsick. We give him 21st Century Pet-Eze - Level 2 - Health Care - Dog - PetSmart. It says to give him no more than four tablets but we give him two because we don't want to knock him out completely. It basically just takes the edge off. I've heard that you can give dogs Dramamine you just need to consult with your vet about dosage. We also don't feed him before he's going on a long car ride.

The longest they've ever been in the car is about 6 hours. I think dogs can go just about any length of time on a car ride as long as you allow plenty of potty and water breaks. Good luck with your travels and I hope you decide to take Olive!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I love taking my dogs with me on trips. Most of mine love car rides and are happy doing anything that I'm doing. The only "problem" I ever had was in a motel room with Elvis. It was a chilly night so I turned the heater on. Every time it kicked in poor Elvis cowered under a chair and barked at it.

Travel with pets is very common now and so many places are accomodating to them. Just make sure you travel with their food, water, bed etc. And enjoy a real family vacation.

·
Registered
767 Posts
When we got Maggie she always got carsick. I talked to her vet and she said it could be a learned response. So she said to retrain Maggie. The first few days Maggie got in the car but we just sat there for about 10 minutes each time. The next few times the car was started and we just sat with the engine running for several minutes. After that we would drive around the block and every few times we increased the distance. Now Maggie never gets car sick. But we do have 1 drawback. Every night she barks and whines until she gets a ride in the car. She trained me well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First Time Car Sick

When we go on a long trip, with lots of car journeys our basset gets car sick the first time, but isn't sick on the any of the following days. However, in talking to the Vet, she said that it is common for this to happen, so you might find if you can put up with it for the first day, then the following days will be OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Homer gets car sick. I have learned not to feed him until after a days travel. He usually sleeps the whole way.

·
Registered
761 Posts
He usually sleeps the whole way.
I wish Doppler would just sleep! He sits in the backseat and pouts the whole way! Virga after the initial excitement is out. But Doppler just sits there. I'd probably feel better if he slept.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts