Basset Hounds Forum banner

travel sickness

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Mikey T 
G
#1 ·
hi

thanks to everyone who has posted items i've had a great laugh reading

bassets are new to me had chows for last 17 years so i've been pleased to know that menna who is now 8 months old is typical of the breed i think i would have worried quite a few times if i had not checked this site

the main problem i have is menna always throws up on car journeys i've tried serene-um drops and discussed this with my vet but the problem persists. if anyone could advise me that would be great

G
#2 ·
Huckleberry would get car sick when we first got him....now he gets seasick if on long passages. The first thing I did was to make sure he had little to nothing on his stomach prior to departure. That seemed to help him alot. I make sure he has water although don't let him suck tons of it up....little bits at a time (ice chips if available are good) but most of the time he's not really that interested. Vet said that I could mildly sedate him but I really hate to do that so we just go al-naturale (sp?).

G
#3 ·
I don't know if this is typical of Menna or not. When I had my last dog, she came to me very nervous and stressed. She was so stressed to get in the car that the minute she did, she would throw up. The vet's solution was to tell us to take her with us often, whereever we could take her on short trips so that her only assocation with a vehicle isn't a vet or moving to a new home. She had been shuffled around a lot.

Once she realized she was in a "forever" home and that car rides meant walks in the park and runs in the fields, she really began enjoying the car. Unfortunately I only had her for 3 years before seizures took her from me.

The vet also said that if you give a dog a small amount of water with a "very small amount" of baking soda in it (about a half teaspoon per cup of water) apparently it will settle their stomach and they wil burp before they get in the vehicle and the acid in their stomach will be neutralized. He did say though not to make an often habit of this as it is not tested in dogs.

Hope this helps. Susan and Wilson

G
#4 ·
thanks
i make sure she an empty tummy and she has water but she still managed to throw up liquid i am trying my best to avoid going the sedation route

menna doesn't seem to get stressed or nervous and has got worse with frequent trips we had no problem until she was approx 5 months old

i am certainly going to try baking soda it has got to be better than sedation

#5 ·
I would certainly follow the advice of your veterinarian. What happens if you don't give her any water a few hours before the trip? Also you might ask your vet about trying an anti-motion sickness medication he recommends and then if she still vomits it might not be motion sickness but something else like stress. I know some dogs when stressed get very quiet.

Try just sitting in the car, then try it with the motor running (window open of course) then advance to a trip around the block. Do each for several days.

Here's what one veterinarian has to say about Motion Sickness in Dogs.

Keep us posted on your progress.

[ February 03, 2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

G
#6 ·
still trying with menna i tried bach flower remedy and she seemed to more hyper, but i may have found a solution, she travels in her crate and i tried a short journey with a box in the crate to make it smaller and she wasn't sick so am going to try a longer journey soon.

thanks again for the advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.