Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get Flash into trining classes.Until yesterday the only ones I have found are a hour away.I found this in our local paper yesterday:

Dog Obedience Classes
There willbe a novice class starting 3-11-06.

Then her phone number......

I'm going to check her out.But I'm not sure what all to ask.

Should she be certified?? In what??

What are her methods?? I want Flash to be teated right!!!

What do I need to ask...???

BTW..What is novice?

Thanks for your help!

A

·
0 Posts
Ask him/her if they are knowledgeable with the Basset breed. Use only positive reinforcement training methods (treats, fun and praise, no corrections). Bassets are stubborn, independant and "what's in it for me?", not stupid. Definitely not stupid. If you're not having fun in class, neither is your dog. Good luck! Belinda.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Any basic, pet manners class should be fine. The emphasis should be on positive methods, but an occasional, well-timed correction can also be a very effective means of training.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would check with your vet or groomer to see if they have heard of this group. Ten month old Miss Emma just graduated from here :) and although you obviously cannot go here I would look for a place that has similar qualities. They use VERY positive reinforcement. Be prepared to spend 30 minutes or so a day working with your dog plus the class time. If done with the right people it can be very rewarding for you and your dog.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Georgia & I just graduated from a class that was great. It was all positive reinforcement and we both had a great time. The instructor always emphasised that it must be fun.

One "problem" I had was with her rewards. The instructor suggested we use a special treat only for training purposes. I used pupperoni - which was a big hit the first 5 1/2 classes. Then she decided that enough was enough and un-learned everything in about 30 seconds flat. I switched to cheese and her memory was miraculously restored.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
which was a big hit the first 5 1/2 classes. Then she decided that enough was enough and un-learned everything in about 30 seconds flat
Dogs do, in fact, seem to have a "memory lapse" at about the 5th week of learning a new behavior where they seem to have forgotten everything they've learned. One theory I heard is that the information is transferring from short-term to long-term memory.

A

·
0 Posts
You might want to ask your vet about puppy kindergarten or something like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to the lady today.She said she teachs me how to teach Flash.Which we are pretty good at anyway.I really want to get her into thearpy.I know that she need professional training for that.The class is not but $100, and 8 weeks long,but it is on a weekend.So if I can find a babysitter I think we are going to do it.The lady seemed very nice.She said she trains dogs for the AKC good/well behavior thing too.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Hi yayasflash- most pet therapy organizations require passing the AKC Canine Good Citizen test- it's not hard, just basic obedience really- but if pet therapy is your goal, you may want to get her enrolled right now in a CGC class. Then your dog will need to make a few supervised visits and be evaluated as to how she reacts to crowds, noise, etc. There is probably an active pet therapy group in your area associated with Therapy Dogs International or Delta- go to their web sites and check them out. Another way to get connected with a group is to call local hospitals and ask who does visits there. While some institutions will allow you to make visits without being certified, you would not be covered by insurance in case of an accident. I'm glad to hear that you're interested in this- there is a HUGE need and not enough handler/dog teams to go around! If I can help you in any way, please feel free to contact me via Cyberhound private message-

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you so much.I live in a small town.Surrounded by small towns.My mom keeps books for a bunch of nursing homes and they do not have anyone that comes.Her boss said that when I get her ready we are welcome to come to all 10 of them.My danceline performs as much as possible.The residents love it.I'm sure a Basset Hound would cheer them up.

I really think Flash can do it.I think she'll love to do it.And she is VERY teachable.I have tought her several things myself.The not touching food was the hardest.Now if I can stop the slobber when she sees the food. :)

Thank you and you will be hearing from me,I'm sure. :)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We had a guy in our Orientation class who lives in a small town in the mountains in central Pa. and had to travel over 1 1/2 hours to attend that meeting- but it was just once. For his supervised visits, the evaluator agreed to meet him half-way, so it wasn't too bad for him. Now he's on his own, and because he's the only dog/handler team in his area he's overwhelmed with requests.I know you and Flash will love this- good luck!! :)

[ March 05, 2006, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts